Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rubbish fibre extra speeds for 11 months

alandfisher
Dabbler

Re: Rubbish fibre extra speeds for 11 months

@Mustrum 

Surely a new master socket won’t make any difference, but I really have no idea.  There was a drop of about 5mbps before the 5C socket was installed and internal cabling was tidied up at the time of the install. So the new socket has made virtually no difference, apart from having a filter within the socket rather than a dangly one. 

As for having another engineer visit, I’m sceptical as to the point. Three engineers have tested the line, made adjustments and written it off as 30 ish mbps is the best I’m going to get. Nothing would indicate that another engineer would be any different. 

Thanks for your help.

alandfisher
Dabbler

@Gandalf 

Interestingly, on one engineer visit (can’t remember which one) the engineer spoke to someone higher up in Leeds (whoever/whatever they are?) they said the fact that I’m only 373m from the cabinet I should be attaining speeds close to the 70’s 😂.

Exactly what are you expecting with regards to another engineer visit? And escalating to what? For what outcome? Please forgive my cynicism, 3 engineers, 3 similar results, I see another engineer visit saying the same again and leaving me with the same results.

Would this thread be relevant to the engineer? ie.. if an engineer turned up and I presented this thread conversation to them.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@alandfisher  Sorry, I misunderstood your comments re the master socket. But as you got an extra 5Mbps when your new was fitted shows the difference and advantage you can get by having a filtered master socket.

However, the fact you got 49Mbps on the wrong line/pair shows what you should be getting.

Also now you have @Gandalf  involved you have the community and a PN Staff member to help drive the fault, rather than being on your own.

HTH.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us @alandfisher 

While I can’t guarantee the outcome of another engineer will be any different, we can raise this to the Openreach escalation team and they’ll email the field operations manager requesting a multi-skilled engineer carries out all quality checks.

This could be a lift and shift moving you to a different port at the cabinet, changing the D side pair or renewing the drop-wire into your property.

Although if engineers have previously said the problem is the quality of the pair, they all perform the same way, and if they’re not in a position to renew them, it’s possible that nothing more can be done. Having said that, how well do you know your neighbours, would you know what sort of speeds they get? If their speeds are about what you’d get then the issue is probably pair quality. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@alandfisher 

There appears to be a few interesting issues to consider.

As @Mustrum  says,  the fact that swapping your line with a neighbours gives you a significant increase shows that you should be able to get this higher speed. This suggests to me that there is either more than one multi core cable from your local junction box back to the cabinet or that some of the cores in the multi core cable are better than others. You need to stress this if/when you next have an engineer visit.

Out of interest do you know which ISP your near neighbour uses? I’m an old cynic who sometimes wonders whether Openreach keep the better cores for BT’s premium price BTRetail customers and use the poor quality ones for BT owned budget ISPs.  

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

alandfisher
Dabbler

@Mustrum 

My neighbour uses BT for phone and broadband, I'm waiting for her to get back to me with her speeds.

alandfisher
Dabbler

@Gandalf 

Sorry for the slow reply, ok can you please raise this to the Openreach escalation team to request a multi-skilled engineer carries out all quality checks. Out of interest will this just be external checks at my local cabinet or will it involve checks in my home.

I'm waiting to hear back from my neighbour about her speeds.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us @alandfisher 

No problem and I'm afraid it'd be an engineer visit because line tests aren't showing any external faults. Due to the way we work with our suppliers if this is the case, the only way we can progress a fault is through an appointment.

Can you report a fault to us Here and post back once you've done so?

We'll then progress the fault with our suppliers and ask you to provide some availability when you'd be free for an engineer to visit. When providing availability I'd give us about 3 working days notice as this will allow time for us to email an escalation proforma to our suppliers escalation team and for them to email the field operations manager.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
alandfisher
Dabbler

@Gandalf 

Hi, I’ve reported the fault of lower than minimum speeds via the link you posted.  

Thanks for your help.

LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Hi Alan,

Thanks for getting back to us.

I can see you have raised the following ticket however I can't see any response on it as to engineer appointment preferences. Please can you respond to it and let us know here so we can continue with the escalation.

Thanks - LF

alandfisher
Dabbler

@LordFoul 

Hi, I had already included engineer preferences within the ticket but have responded to your recent request.

The dates I am available are as follows:

15th Nov, 18th Nov, 21st Nov, 22nd Nov and 25th Nov. All 0800-1300 preferred visits. 

Regards

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us @alandfisher

I've seen your response on the ticket and I'll reply back shortly.

Apologies for the delay in picking it up

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @alandfisher I've requested our suppliers that we book the engineer visit for this Friday between 8am and 1pm, however the appointment isn't getting confirmed in the supplier system for some reason. I'll check back on the progress tomorrow, I'd be able to contact our suppliers then too if we've not yet received confirmation.

Once the appointment is confirmed I'll let you know and I'll email our suppliers escalation team requesting to engage the field operations manager to assign a multi-skilled engineer for a thorough investigation carrying out all relevant quality checks.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @alandfisher So we can ensure that there's enough time for our suppliers escalation team to escalate this I've booked the engineer visit for 21/11/2019 between 8am and 1pm, which is the next available slot based upon availability.

I'll follow things up with you afterwards.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
alandfisher
Dabbler

@Gandalf 

thanks very much