cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Routers list.

thunderer
Grafter

Routers list.

I was wondering is there a list of routers that will work with fibre without resorting to a modem?
At the moment I've got a Draytek 2850n, but I was wondering just in case something should happen to it and it can't be repaired is there a list of routers that we can use without the modem or would it be possible to create on on here for reference purposes?
Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Routers list.

Should you decide to keep the OR modem the one that seems to be favoured here and gets good reviews is the Asus RT-N66U which connects to the Openreach modem.
If you have a dig around there is a dedicated thread to it
Let's be careful out there !
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

There's a list of combined VDSL2 modem/routers here: http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=14436.0
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

I've got one of these - TP-Link TD-W9980. Very good, but a bit light on detailed stats, and the Telnet interface is frankly useless in my current firmware.
DSL
Line Status:Connected
DSL Modulation Type:VDSL2
Annex Type:Annex A/B/L/M
                      Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (Kbps)    14092 63904
Max Rate (Kbps)     14809    63938
SNR Margin (dB)            6.4      6.1
Line Attenuation (dB)   0      21.4
Errors (Pkts)           0        0
thunderer
Grafter

Quote from: Kremmen
Should you decide to keep the OR modem the one that seems to be favoured here and gets good reviews is the Asus RT-N66U which connects to the Openreach modem.
If you have a dig around there is a dedicated thread to it

I don't have an Openreach Modem! I flogged it.
I just want to be able to plug my cable that goes from the wall socket straight into my router. It saves money (electrickery) & wiring!  Wink
WWWombat
Grafter

Quote from: thunderer
but I was wondering just in case something should happen to it and ...

Quote from: thunderer
I don't have an Openreach Modem! I flogged it.

Oops. When something fails on your connection, the first reaction of most support staff will be to ask you to plug the Openreach modem in, and see what happens.
I'm not saying that is the right reaction, but it will probably give you some extra hoops to jump through if things should go awry.
Otherwise the Kitz list is probably a reasonable status of the current devices.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
TimStephenson
Grafter

Just thought I'd chip in - if you're looking for a VDSL 802.11AC router, try the Billion BiPac 8800AXL
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/products/20044-billion-bipac-8800axl/
Just bought one of these to replace a HomeHub5 which I couldn't get to work properly with a Vodafone Suresignal, and so far it seems great. Rock solid performance on our line, faster sync than the HH5 (50Mbs/9.5Mbs rather than 44/8 !) and good Wifi performance across 5Ghz & 2.4Ghz bands.
So far so good...