Router with onboard VDSL Capability?

Clecklad

Router with onboard VDSL Capability?

Has anyone got any recommendations?
12 REPLIES 12
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Router with onboard VDSL Capability?

look here http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14436.0.html for the options and decide how much you want to pay and what features you need
Clecklad

Many thanks.
Anyone experience of using wone with a Plusnet connection?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

They will all work
I use the Billion 8800NL
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

I bought a used Home Hub 5 to replace the PN router and BT modem, mainly because it was a good price for a decent specification. The wi-fi coverage is very good but it does not have a lot of advanced features. All in all its is a reasonable modem router for the price point. One thing to be aware of, it works on BT and Plusnet connections, but if you change to a different provider in the future, I am not sure it works with any other ISPs.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

i use the asus DSL ac68u VDSL router with no problem
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
shylok
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I was going to opt for the Asus DSL ac68u (Broadcom chipset) however i came across reports of frequent dropouts & rising FEC errors in the stats causing DLM to kick in & reduce speed, i hoped Asus may have fixed it with a decent firmware update but it doesn't appear to be fixed http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18606945&page=92
So i played the waiting game for other VDSL Routers to come on the market which paid off as TP-Link has just released the Archer VR900 AC1900 Router (Broadcom chipset) that i bought last week, so far it works like a charm & its even reduced my minimum latency from 40ms (BT ECI Modem) to 15ms, the only downside is the line stats are quite basic however there is a workaround if you require it http://forum.kitz.co.uk/i....msg297958.html#msg297958
nblackburn
Dabbler

I've been using a Home Hub 5 on my PlusNet connection for a few months and been pleased with it so far.
squiggley
Hooked

Have any of them got settings so that I can switch wifi off to individual devices?

Oldjim
Resting Legend

permanently or on a schedule
With the Billion you can set up 3 wifi guest networks with individual scheduling
shure
Grafter

I know the ASUS has MAC filtering (where you can permanently exclude individual devices) and I'd be very surprised if the others didn't.  If you want to allow access on a timed basis, as Oldjim says you can set up guest networks to be on at specific times only.  The ASUS allows three separate guest networks per frequency.
Wilsonline
Grafter

I've been using a Draytek Vigor 2860 for a while now as we have been using them at work.
It's a very flexible unit and has far more capabilities than I'll ever need. Smiley
squiggley
Hooked

Quote from: Oldjim
permanently or on a schedule
With the Billion you can set up 3 wifi guest networks with individual scheduling

Scheduled
The PN TG582N on adsl allows me to control wifi connection to all devices and individually control wifi on/off times. This allows me to switch wifi to the kids laptops and tablets respective of age and bedtime rather than  completely switching it off for everyone.