Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router stalled on switching to fibre

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Router stalled on switching to fibre

@Sandydog, a remote test of your line is showing a copper line fault out in the Wholesale/Openreach network:

Test Outcome Fail
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_1503
Description Copper fault found possibly affecting GEA services. Continue submitting trouble report.
Main Fault Location LN
Sync Status Out Of Sync
Downstream Speed 40.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 2.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised Y
NTE Power Status Unknown
Voice Line Test Result Voice fault suspected - contact Voice CP to progress copper issue
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level No Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Current 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Last 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Profile Name 0.128M-40M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-2M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2017-11-01T15:00:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 39.9 Mbps 39.9 Mbps 39.9 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 1.9 Mbps 1.9 Mbps 1.9 Mbps
Up Time 0.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 685.5 Sec
Retrains 0.0 2.0 0.1
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2017-11-02T12:14:42Z 2017-11-02T12:29:42Z
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 900 336

Whilst, it could be the router at fault, I wouldn't put money on it at this stage.

Would suggest you get your foot in the door and raise a fault ticket by completing the troubleshooter here. The replacement router will turn up tomorrow so let me know how you get on.

Edit: In fact - ignore me. It's suggesting a voice fault. Do you have a telephone handset plugged into the line, and if so, is it working as expected?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Sandydog
Dabbler

I am only connecting to my neighbour's router so that I can access this forum ! It is nothing to do with the problems I am having with our broadband. Apart from the email that came in when I was rebooting it don't see how it can affect anything. All the tests I am doing are on our router, with the neighbour's router connection 'forgotten'. I just slipped up that one time after so many tests and hours of phone calls. Sorry for any confusion.

Sandydog
Dabbler

The phone line is working normally. I have checked it on incoming and outgoing calls. The router was unplugged from the mains and the phone line. I have put it back into the phone line base plate. It won't connect without a microfilter but I have swapped for a new one. It is switched on again now, back to orange after rebooting. I will let you know if the new router fixes anything. Thanks for you help.

krusty
Rising Star

@Sandydog do as what bob has suggested and raise a voice line fault.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I've just run a voice diagnostic test and it's not picking anything up, so the DSL check may be misleading. @Sandydog, let's see how the new router goes, and if the situation is the same, then raise a fault ticket as previously advised and the team will take take a look at it.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Sandydog
Dabbler

Thanks Bob

the new router has arrived - no change. Another two hours on and off the phone. Now we have to wait for an engineer's appointment to be booked. Nothing heard so far. Apparently even arranging the appointment may take another 72 hours.

I am not surprised that the new router didn't fix the problem, but it is has delayed things somewhat so it looks like a few more days with no service at all. 

We are convinced whatever went wrong it is at the cabinet so doubt the engineer will really need to come here. The new router has been tested in the master socket. Still orange. We also tried connecting the computer with an ethernet cable to the new router. It could not see the box at all. 

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Good news is, a complete loss of service like this should be fairly simple for the engineer to locate/resolve. It is likely to take a few days though. Once you're back up and running, give me a nudge and I'll apply some credit to your account.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Sandydog
Dabbler

Thanks for that. We think it will just turn out to be a loose connection in the box after all this. 

Sandydog
Dabbler

Just a quick update. Open reach engineer finally came here this morning at 9:10 am. He was here for over 2.5 hours. He has tested everything and installed a new wall plate. He says the fault is a software fault at Plusnet. He got 200 Mb download speed when he bypassed Plusnet altogether, but nothing he did would make our router connect. He even went back to the fibre cabinet and switched us to a spare plate in the cabinet. He told us to wait an hour for his work sheet to be on their system and call Plusnet again. We did that. It took another half hour on hold to even speak to someone then they tried to start from scratch with trying to login, restarting the router etc. Obviously none of that could work.

Then they promised to escalate the problem and get back to us. We have waited another 3 hours or so and heard nothing at all. My whole day off has been wasted and we are no nearer being connected than we were ten days ago. 

krusty
Rising Star

I know you tried this earlier can you try this again

change the login to

user: bt_test@startup_domain

Password:

that is blank as in no password

and then try going to this page: http://www.bt.net/digitaldemo/

note the time you tried it as well

Sandydog
Dabbler

it does not work. It cannot. It just says tries then says 'you are not connected to the internet'. 

krusty
Rising Star

if you can't log in via the bt_test@startup_domain then theres some serious issues, as it means either theres an issue in the cab or your line is not authenticating on the radius server or that you have no line sync..

Sandydog
Dabbler

Hi Bob

We are finally connected to fibre - 2 weeks today. It turned out to the line needing an encryption code to the BT warehouse changed, which was updated at midnight last night. Yesterday's engineer said there were now a few of us affected by the same fault, and he was confident of the problem. To be fair the first engineer's diagnosis was more or less correct too but no-one seemed to trust it. Our line failed the test to connect to the BT test domain on day one. 

It has taken many hours of phone calls, one day off work, and presumably cost Plusnet two engineer visits to sort out what was a software problem at the exchange. 

Thanks for your help with the problem. You said to let you know when we were fixed so you could sort out some compensation.