Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router set up query

FIXED
Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

Re: Router set up query

It is working because you are bypassing the modem part of the Hub and only using it as a router. The modem function is being fulfilled by the old modem. I have no idea why this would affect speed on a wired Ethernet connection. If you are checking speed with wireless it could be that the router is using a different channel. You need to try another Hub One and solve the connectivity problem first.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Baldrick1

Fix

One further thought. It might be worth using a mains extension lead and connect the HubOne with the supplied short DSL cable at the master socket just in case the Hub modem is less tolerant to long extension cables than the original modem, it’s a long shot but you never know. This need only be a short test just to see if it will connect and give a blue light.

Moderator and Customer

sandx
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Baldrick2, we will try connecting in the hallway with the internet cable that came with the Hub One and get back to you.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

just in case the Hub modem is less tolerant to long extension cables than the original modem,

or possibly the Hub one uses a different pair (inner/outer) on the RJ11 connector.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I have seen your set up before, Master socket -> phone cable ->  BT Modem -> Ethernet Cable ->Hub One -> computer/ wifi. It's quite common and it appears to work fine, but is not as reliable  as a router on it's own, and you have a load of trailing cables and clutter.

When I've  removed  BT Modems  from the set up above,   I sometimes needed to factory reset the Hub One Router by pressing the reset button. This clears all the information . It then took quite a long time for the hub one to go through the router Auto Set up routine, known as TR-069 I believe. 

I would advise you to do the following.

1. Ask for your Master Phone socket fitted somewhere convenient! (Not in the hallway where there is no power supply, and you can kick it and trip over the cables, but in your office.)  If this costs you a few quid then so be it, but ensure it is done by someone who is competent and knows what kind of cabling and the correct connections to use. You can ask BT to do this for you but they will charge. (You SHOULD ASK BT to do it via Plus Net - but its not rocket science and any competent electrician should be able to do it.) Don't bother with any exention cables or additional sockets, what I do is replace all the internal phone cable from the point of entry into the building to the place where the phone socket is to be located.

2. When the socket is replaced Plug in the Hub one, if it does not connect press the reset button and wait for the hub to reconnect .

runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

@MisterW wrote:

just in case the Hub modem is less tolerant to long extension cables than the original modem,

or possibly the Hub one uses a different pair (inner/outer) on the RJ11 connector.

No,  it does not . it uses the same pair

BTW , broadband,  including fibre will work, at a lower speed ,  if one of the pair in the RJ 11 isn't working

sandx
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Well I never! I tried Baldrick1's suggestion of using the internet cable that came with the Hub One and connected it directly to the master double socket in the hallway and we have a steady blue light!

So either there is a subtle difference between our existing and new internet cable or the signal isn't good at 10 metres away (it is only up a flight of stairs)

I'll keep an eye on it but a huge thanks to you all for taking the time to help me. And a big apology for shouting!

Baldrick1

I'm delighted that we have found the cause. 

Moderator and Customer