cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router question

JohnP1066

Router question

Hi, it's been suggested to me the Plusnet router provided may be poor quality and could be responsible for my connection problems. I might go along with that simply because it has a hint of truth about it. Plusnet refuse to provide me with another router. So, if I have to buy a replacement myself which one should I go for? Grateful for any suggestions based on your experiences.
7 REPLIES 7
lenny
Grafter

Re: Router question

I am using a Billion BiPac 8800nl on my connection as are a few others here, a very good all in one solution and very good reviews Smiley
shure
Grafter

when you say connection problems, do you mean just wifi?  Because if it's actually the fibre connection I doubt that's down to the router.  Do you have anything with a wired connection to the router and what's your experience with that?
JohnP1066

Hi Shure, Thank you for your question. I have a desk top using enthernet and have experienced no problems. However, have taken YouView and when viewing a stream such as Eurosport it frequently looses connection and the picture is lost. Any Wi Fi being used at the same also drops out until every thing finally comes back on. I've tried explaining this to Plusnet but they insist all is fine with the line and download speed, although they do admit some faults may be needed to be looked into. The problem is, they been saying the same thing without any resolution forthcoming for weeks.The big bug-bear is Wi Fi  connection being constantly lost when using IPads and I've reached the end trying with Plusnet, they don't seem to be at all bothered if I change provider, and wonder if it's now the time to try another router because I can see no other option having gone through all the obvious.
shure
Grafter

Hi John.  If it's just the wireless connections then maybe it is the router, although I'm still a little unclear whether YouView is wired or wireless.  In any event, if your iPads constantly lose then it does sound as though your signal strength isn't great.
There are lots of different routers out there, depending on what you want out of it.  Placement is very important, as are things like thickness of walls between router and receiver etc.  You haven't mentioned what your connection speed is or how many things you have connected at any one time.  And budget is very important!
I'm assuming that as you are using the PN router 802.11ac is not a consideration.  My own router is the Asus RT-N66U, available from Amazon for £85.  Have no complaints with it and it's dual band so newer equipment (including the latest iPads and mobile phones) will be able to make use of the faster 5Ghz band.  It also has gigabit ports for the maximum possible wired speeds and three movable antennas for greater signal range and direction.  There are newer models but the price inevitably goes up.  I've had mine a couple of years and it's been great.  It also has a built in USB print server so if like me you have kids who want to print off their homework that's a great feature.
Slightly cheaper is the TP-Link TD-W9980, which is a combined modem router so you can also do away with the OR modem if space is at a premium.  It seems to be popular on here and if you don't have a lot of clients clamouring for bandwidth might be a good choice
If money is no object then the more you pay the more bells and whistles you will get generally speaking.  But id you just want stable WiFi both the above are worth considering
grahcradd

Shure,
just joined the forum so may be posting in the wrong area, but I wondered if you know if an ASUS DSL N55U will work with my plusnet fibre broadband?  I have tried connecting it to the modem, but without any joy. Not even sure it will work with Fibre and the instructions are not too hot.

Thanks in advance for any advice
Grahame
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

The Asus N55U is an ADSL router, it does not seem to have a WAN port which you would need to connect to the Openreach modem, so no it won't work.
shure
Grafter

There are two versions of the DSL-N55U.    The C1 version has two WAN ports, whereas the Annex A version has none.  However, according to this link, it's possible to download firmware with which you can configure one of the LAN ports as a WAN port.
Edit: on checking further it seems the latest firmware should have that option, so should be painless