cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router problem?

ValR
Hooked

Router problem?

I changed to FibrePlus broadband a few months ago and was supplied with the new router. Since then I’ve been having problems with websites crashing, slow broadband speeds, and not having WiFi even though I’m only a couple of rooms away from the router. I also can’t get Alexa to talk to it!

Might this be a problem with the router? I did change the channel at one point when I managed to talk to an advisor, but that didn’t help much. I have tried unplugging it and switching back on after 5 mins.

3 REPLIES 3
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Re: Router problem?

Hi @ValR,

I'm really sorry to hear about this. Have you attempted to split the wireless networks that your router is operating on? If not, I'd recommend doing so and we have a guide on this here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
ValR
Hooked

Just checked where your link took me, it’s quite complicated, but I did notice that your suggestion results in a shorter range, whereas one of my problems is that the range is too limited. Just a couple of rooms away I’m getting very poor WiFi.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @ValR,

If you split the network you'll have the option to choose between the 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks, which may address this issue. By default these networks are joined together which can cause issues in some circumstances. If it makes things worse, the chance can always be reverted so it's always worth a try to see how it goes.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team