cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router not connecting to modem

KnowledgeIsLigh

Router not connecting to modem

Hi,
My initial modem broke a few days ago and I have since bought a new one; however the LAN 1 light is not coming on, I've tried everything but a factory reset (on my router).
I've tried attaching the ethernet cable with the yellow ends and that could/should have worked(?) but no luck with that either.
I've looked inside my phone socket and nothing seems to be fried (in fact I doubt the dsl light would come on wif so).
I called Plusnet early this morning and the operator said it's quite possibly a problem with the ethernet cable(s), and that if I have no luck I'll be sent a new router; but I'm afraid of getting bombarded with new kit when there may be an external problem, particularly when the current router seems fine (I'm receiving wireless data).
On my router settings it is saying "internet not configured"
I was wondering if anyone has had a similar issue and can offer a resolution?
Many thanks.
Edit: I really don't want to pay over £100 for an engineer.
13 REPLIES 13
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Router not connecting to modem

Given that you've bought a modem and your router was (presumably) working I'd guess that the modem is faulty.  How did the original modem die?
As a test, plug the ethernet cable between one of the ethernet ports on your router and LAN1 on the modem.  If the LAN1 light comes on then there's something wrong with the WAN port on your router.  If it doesn't come on there's something wrong with the modem you've bought...
KnowledgeIsLigh

Thanks I'll give that a try later.
dick:quote
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

You can also test the modem by plugging a PC into LAN1 and setting up a PPPoE connection
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

My initial modem broke a few days ago and I have since bought a new one;
If the modem is faulty then BT should be replacing the faulty modem, it's part of the supply of FTTC, well at least until next year anyway!.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

KnowledgeIsLigh

Yeah I was pretty desperate though so decided to buy one rather than waiting a few days, but I never have any luck with anything so the new one itself is probably kaput.
dick:quote
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Let us know how you get on.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Den1
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I take it the new modem is for fibre and not adsl ?Huh
KnowledgeIsLigh

Right so I found an old router (Sky) lying about and decided to try that; I had to set up a PPPOE and it worked a charm, didn't even seem much slower.
Now after a few days I've lost the DSL connection, the light just won't come on. Unless I'm missing something I can't think what would be wrong.
I turn my router (not my modem) off at night but I can't imagine that doing so would mean that when I turn it back on the spike would bork the DSL port on my modem.
And to the person who asked...of course it's a fibre ready modem.
If Plusnet staff read this could you quickly do a check? If not it will pobably be best to send me both a new modem and router.
I'm convinced nothing is wrong my end.
Thanks
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Our testing has found a fault on the phone line so I don't think the modems at fault.
I've raised this on Question 107487020 for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
KnowledgeIsLigh

Quote from: Matthew
Our testing has found a fault on the phone line so I don't think the modems at fault.
I've raised this on Question 107487020 for you.

Thanks Matthew.
I've received a text asking for a reply "advising what has changed". Should I just say something similar to what I've put above?
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

You don't have to add anything at the moment only if the situation changes at all.
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
KnowledgeIsLigh

Right this is starting to get on my nerves now I'm afraid.
I was called unexpectedly by an Openreach engineer who visited my flat upon my semi reluctant agreement; he confirmed there was something wrong with the line and even fitted a new socket just in case there was something wrong with the "old" one. Said the problem would be sorted in "a couple of days" this was on Wednesday...still no DSL connection.
I haven't done anything wrong, it's at BT's end. They've either done nothing or it's my modem...the one I only just bought and was working fine until this rubbish.
I was almost offended when I got an e-mail from Plusnet reminding me that my account will be credited with my first payment, I would have had 2 weeks internet tops out of that first month.
I was told the lightning of a couple of weeks ago had caused havoc in my area, and in trying to get other people's lines to work mine might have been compromised...WHAT?!!!
Please get things together.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

We need to look at arranging a broadband engineer to the property to investigate further.
Can you update your fault ticket with some potential appointment times.
There's AM which is between 8am and 1pm and PM which is 1PM while 6PM.
We should have from tomorrow up to Friday available.
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team