Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router modem with ac

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: Router modem with ac

Yep as Asus caused my DLM once before. Never use Asus again.
Psalliss
Grafter

Looked at billion, can't see one that has four Ethernet ports on it as long as modem router. I think I'm leaning towards the TP-link as seems to do all I want. Would I actaully notice any difference between the asus with vectoring and the TP-link without it
Psalliss
Grafter

Quote from: Psalliss
Thanks nor. I had read it but then got confused on a different site that is seen.
Think I've narrowed it down to four options.
1 keep existing modem and router - don't really want to as poor router from all I've read
2. Use supplied modem but change router  D-Link DIR-850L AC1200.- better router and ac support but still two plugs
3. New ac modem router - Asus DSL-AC68U - from what I've read its a really good modem router and has the ac support I'd like so is future proof but expensive.
4. New modem router - TP-LINK TD-W9980 - one box solution and significantly cheaper than the asus. Doesn't support ac but I have nothing that works off ac anyway and by the time I do ac router modems should be cheaper anyway.
What are people thoughts on the four options above?.
Leaning towards the 4th option as the sensible one but do like the asus but that's the gadget geek in me. Any thoughts? I'm guessing I would notice no difference in wifi speed between ac and n. Also at present in a new build 2 storey semi but hopefully moving in next 6 months to a three storey terrace so not sure of that would make any difference between ac and n
Thanks to all for advice so far
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

The 4th option TP-LINK TD-W9980 isn't a great VDSL modem. It's caused my fibre DLM. But, that's your own choice!
TimStephenson
Grafter

Just for clarity, the earlier firmware releases for the Asus DSL-AC68U had some issues with DSL stability. These issues have been FIXED, and with current firmware the device is perfectly stable. If this worries you, then buy another router but otherwise don't let it put you off the device as providing you ensure it's running current software, it should be fine.
Prior to the DSL-AC68U we briefly had a Billion 8800axl, which had (in our environment) hopeless wifi performance on 2.4 & 5Ghz bands. We're in a rural location with only a couple of other networks nearby, and couldn't get the device to perform even with Billion's assistance to configure/tune it. We've had various other Billion routers for a good few years now without any issues but it seems there's either a problem with this particular model or we were unlucky with a faulty batch.
After trying a replacement 8800AXL, we ended up sending it back to Broadband Buyer for a refund and replaced it with the Asus.
In terms of DSL sync, we found the Billion to sync faster than a BT HomeHub5 but despite the Broadcom chipset in the Billion the Asus syncs with higher speeds and seems more stable.
mrunderhill
Grafter
Fixes: 1

I can echo AndyH and npr's suggestion for the TalkTalk 'super' router (Huawei HG635).
I used it on TalkTalk for 6 months and on Plus.net for the past 2 weeks.  But you can only get it if you're on TalkTalk (or from ebay for £40ish), so if it stops working you're stuffed, but you could buy 3 HG635's to the price of 1 ASUS.
The only problem I have is if I have a server (e.g. a minecraft server) that is accessible externally via  myminecraftserver.duckdns.org, internally I have to use the internal IP address e.g. 192.169.1.100, it doesn't matter though.
westbusker
Grafter

I remember goldenfibre having issues with the TP Link W9980 & it causing a DLM. In fact it put me off so much I went for an ASUS RT-AC56U AC1200 combined with the openreach modem.
I ended up sending that unit back because the wireless performance was rubbish, so decided to take a punt with the TP Link W9980 after all.
As I have already stated, rock solid (for me) with no DLM issues & syncs no different than the default plusnet kit.
I say go for the cheaper, try it, send it back if you don't like.
As far as no vectoring, well how long will it take BT to roll that out, knowing them another decade Grin
Psalliss
Grafter

Thanks for replies.i think I'm down to option 3 or 4. The only thing putting me off the asus is the price to be honest. I've read about firmwae Being sorted and it being more reliable. It's jus the TP-link is half the price and at some point I would think that ac routers would drop in price so a year or more down the line when the vectoring and ac standard is more use could spend the same again as the TP link and get a new router.
Psalliss
Grafter

Quote from: westbusker
I remember goldenfibre having issues with the TP Link W9980 & it causing a DLM. In fact it put me off so much I went for an ASUS RT-AC56U AC1200 combined with the openreach modem.
I ended up sending that unit back because the wireless performance was rubbish, so decided to take a punt with the TP Link W9980 after all.
As I have already stated, rock solid (for me) with no DLM issues & syncs no different than the default plusnet kit.
I say go for the cheaper, try it, send it back if you don't like.
As far as no vectoring, well how long will it take BT to roll that out, knowing them another decade Grin

Thanks mate. Very helpful. Do you think I'd notice any difference between ac and n
TimStephenson
Grafter

Re ac & n, depends entirely on if you have devices that can take advantage of ac.
We have a couple of Macbooks that connect with ac and can benefit from faster transfer speeds between either wired devices or other ac clients on our local network. 
However... the vast majority of traffic transferred around in our case is between connected computers and the internet... Given that our FTTC delivers around 40Mbs, there's not really any practical difference in terms of download or browsing performance.
Arguably, ac is more "future proofed" as it's the newer standard - so if that's important to you, buy a router with ac support. However, for the majority of typical usage, n will probably be more than sufficient Smiley
Psalliss
Grafter

Thanks bit gf and myself have iPads and don't believe they support ac and ps4 and Xbox one but both are connected via Ethernet. Most likely the TP-link is best for my needs now.,
jim:quote
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Looking at the specs for the TP-Link, http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/?model=TD-W9980#fea
It does support a Ewan ports (I think that's one of the ethernet ports reconfigured) so if it doesn't give a very good fibre connection you can always use it connected to the supplied BT modem.
Psalliss
Grafter

Thanks if it didn't give good connection would send back and get asus. From what people are saying it should be fine I reckon. My estimated speeds are around 36 -40 as only gone for the cheaper package so being logical I think im going to order the TP-link and in few years when vectoring and ac is more standard in devices I use and cheaper then I'll uograde.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Another option is a BT Hub 5.
I use this on my network and leaves me very satisfied. Had no problems with it at all - apart from a few issues which were Plusnet's side.
Looks nice and has full AC wifi and gigabit Ethernet ports as well as the EWAN port.
Also has the inbuilt VDSL so no need for the openreach modem.
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
Psalliss
Grafter

Thanks for that mate. Way to confuse me again. Ha. Seems like can get them really cheap on eBay. Are there any issues with using with plus net or anything that needs to be done to it get working or does it just work out of the box?