cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router modem with ac

Psalliss
Grafter

Router modem with ac

Got fibre broadband due to be installed end of month but want to order a one box router modem solution. Been looking and getting very confused please can someone suggest some reliable router modems with ac support. Thanks phil
58 REPLIES 58
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Router modem with ac

Do you have a budget in mind?
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Have a look at this list for VDSL modem routers, there's only 3 with ac wifi.
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=14436.0
One modem router which is not on that list and may be worth considering is the talktalk super router (hg635) -- vdsl modem router, Gbit ethernet, ac wifi. Available from a well known auction site Wink
Psalliss
Grafter

Not really got budget in mind as long as it's a good stable router.
Leaning towards this
http://www.asus.com/Networking/DSLAC68U/
Does that replace both router and modem from p,us net
npr
Pro

Yes.
But, I suggest looking through the following link to see the vdsl connection issues some have had with this router.
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=14399.30
Psalliss
Grafter

Thanks had already read a few things which is what stopped me ordering at this point. Are there any similar one ps that are solid and reliable
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Most people don't have Equipment to match the n wifi standard never mind ac, I suspect most people only have 1 or 2 devices with 10/100/1000 ethernet.
The AC68U Does seem popular i'll admit, but does it have any meaningful stats/graphing with the standard firmware etc?
TimStephenson
Grafter

Hi, with the latest firmware (v 3.0.0.4.376_2158), the Asus DSL-AC68U is stable & fast. Sounds like earlier software releases had some issues around DSL sync but these have all been sorted out now by all accounts.
Have been running one for a few weeks now without any issues and it's a great one-box solution which seems to be able to maintain a stable DSL connection,  sync'ing in our case faster than any other routers we've tried and delivering fast & consistent wifi on 2.4 & 5Ghz bands.
On standard firmware you get detailed DSL stats, traffic monitoring covering wan, lan & wifi traffic, along with some spectrum analysis graphs which are apparently useful for seeing how healthy the connection is.
AndyH
Grafter

The problem is that the router manufacturers are not using the Openreach testing facilities to make sure their routers are fully compatible/meet the Openreach standards.
Psalliss
Grafter

Thanks.so no issues with latest firmware and its stable.i know at present there's no real benefit with ac at this time but was trying to future proof a bit. What a n router/modems are there any that could be recommended.
Haybasha
Rising Star

I've been running a ZyXel SBG3300-N since joining PlusNet, great bit of kit.
Psalliss
Grafter

Thanks but at the price am leaning more to the asus
dick:quote
AndyH
Grafter

What about the TalkTalk branded Huawei HG635 from eBay? It meets your requirements of AC wireless and it should work well with the Openreach fibre network.
npr has a guide - http://npr.me.uk/hg635.html
npr
Pro

I've been using the hg635 for a few months now and I'm mostly impressed. It give me a slightly better sync speed than the BT modem, I'm on aluminum cables so I don't get very good speeds but roughly the speed difference is:
BT modem  20Mbps down  1.2Mbps up
HG635    2.3Mbps down  1.6Mbps up.
The routers GUI is very basic, no bells and whistles, but it's got the features the average user needs. ie port forward, ddns, stats, wireless settings (independent 2.4 GHz and 5GHz settings), LAN and DHCP settings.
The routers main fault is it's useless at DNS:
1) The routers DNS server is much slower than it should be.
2) If the routers DHCP server is configured to issue your custom DNS setting, so the routers DNS server is not used, then it occasionally forget the DNS IP addresses it should be issuing.
The workaround is to configure the DNS setting in the PC's own network settings.
A recent firmware upgrade failed to fix this dns bug.
When I first got the router none of my devices could do ac wireless so I installed a new ac wifi card in the laptop, this gave me wireless connection speeds of over 800Mbps. The only problem was my laptop didn't like the card so it's was quickly removed -- haven't bothered trying a different ac card as I don't really need faster wifi.
nbk
Grafter

If the DSL side of the DSL-AC68U is fixed I'd recommend that because as a router it's superb...although I can't see a way to turn off wifi...which I want to do from time to time...well, I don't have the DSL variant, I have the RT-AC68U along with a huawei modem but they're basically the same with the DSL- variant having the modem but it can also do Ethernet WAN too on one of the LAN ports should you decide to use the ECI or Huawei openreach modem.