cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router making hissing noise

thomashosty

Router making hissing noise

I have a Hub One router and everytime I download anything a quiet hissing noice comes from the router. It’s a bit like the hard drive loading noise on an old computer! It’s very annoying andIi’ve a feeling it may be affecting download speeds. I’ve only had it around 6 months. s there a fix for this?
3 REPLIES 3
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Router making hissing noise

It is reduced if you go into the advanced wireless settings,, go yo  the 5GHz tab, answer no to sync with 2.4 GHz and switch off 5GHz. This leaves you with only the 2.4 GHz band. Plusnet refuse to change them as they claim that the noise is acceptable. It doesn't affect performance.

If it really annoys you go onto Ebay and buy a FTTC (most are) BT Smarthub 6 for around £20. It's quiet and has better wireless performance. Setting up instructions are here https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

@Baldrick1  - thanks for providing this info in our absence. 

@ thomashosty - can you confirm you have tried this? How has it gone? 

Kind Regards, 

MoR

alexatkin
Dabbler

Do bear in mind that generally 5Ghz has far better performance than 2.4Ghz, so this is not really a good solution IMO.  Although it does depend on your usage and interference nearby, 2.4Ghz may still be "good enough" to max out your broadband, but is horrible if you ever transfer files between PCs.

Its certainly worth doing as an experiment but I wouldn't recommend turning off 5Ghz permanently.

I can confirm however that its not at all unusual for any radio transmitter to make a hissing noise.  If you can hear it depends on how close you are, the position of the router (the noise can be amplified by bouncing off other objects/walls sometimes), how sensitive your hearing is to those frequencies and the device itself.