Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router losing Internet connection.

danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Router losing Internet connection.

Hi robbieglover2k,

Is it possible that your WiFi signal is using a busy channel in use by other equipment, or a channel that overlaps or doesn't carry as far?

Googling WiFi Channels shows those which are better than others. I also find that the channel settings themselves make a difference (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s) works better for my equipment than (up to 300Mb/s).

Just a thought. The range on my Hub One seems reasonable but I help it with a couple of WiFi units attached through house wiring and each given spread channels. For ease, I make all the passwords the same and wandering with a tablet it can log on to whichever is best once you've set them up.

robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

Hi @danludlow I'll have a browse and see on Google but it's unlikely, it;s completely baffling to me but even more disappointing is the responses from Plusnet when asking for help (people like yourself are helping more so, so thank you), my friends are having the same issue who I recommended and I'm getting stick from them lately too because I recommended them and Plusnet aren't caring about them either (when I stressed so much how Plusnet are great and really help us), they seem really different lately and I'm not sure why Sad

Anyway, I'll have a look in regards to that so thank you Smiley

I did try connecting my brothers items to it when nothing was switched on and I noticed this happened when my nephew borrowed our Netgear Wi-Fi extender for a couple of days, so it looks like it's just the routers are not very good with the Wi-Fi connection but Plusnet have their terms and conditions about how they're not responsible so it doesn't matter to them.

I understand the whole Wi-Fi thing and why that is, 100% but to say that and not help is pretty bad and not like Plusnet at all but they've been like this a lot lately, it's really baffling.

People like yourself are helping much more and I just want to say thank you so much for being so kind to do so as I really appreciate it so thank you Smiley 

danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Hi @EmilyD I received the replacement Hub today before midday, which is very good service, I'd expected it to arrive next week (3-5 working days) as it was only posted yesterday. The Post Office has excelled itself.

Now on the replacement Hub and all seems to be going OK, the IP profile for my connection increased nearly 2Mbps to 50Mbps which is very optimistic for my range to the Cabinet. Would you know if there has been a technology upgrade on my Cabinet that facilitates a faster connection recently?

Many thanks for your help.

If the Hub remains settled I'll put the old one in the post tomorrow or Monday. Since all I needed was the new Hub, I simply removed that and left the rest in place untouched (including the instructions as I have those from the previous).

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @danludlow, you're more than welcome.

We are glad to hear that things are looking better with the new router.

I am afraid no technology upgrade for your cabinet upon checking.

Please do let us know if anything changes.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

I just wanted to add on this, I managed to speak to a kind lady at Plusnet who's gone through some of the things with me as per Matthew's reply above saying "We can't do anything/Not responsible" etc.. she actually helped me out a little and went through a few things we can do.

She guided me through changing the channel and a few other things in the router settings so hopefully this will have strengthened this now and be ok, which she did mention about the range (we changed some numbers too on one of the other drop down bars) so there is quite a bit that you can do.

Even in the same room it was getting very bad, dropping out all the time which it's never been like this before. I know that Wi-Fi is like a radio signal so I get it how it can be temperamental at times but all we ask for is a little bit of help that's all with our service cause we should get a substantial Wi-Fi connection at least (which I really wasn't getting, it was really bad).

I've never seen my brothers PlayStation in the other room near by finding the Wi-Fi but saying "signal is too weak" (which worked perfectly fine before and nothing had been changed previously on router to make a difference), I didn't even know that message existed in all the years we've had the Playstations so it did go pretty bad.

Hopefully it'll be better now anyway but I just wish I'd have got that help before hand as I did feel quite upset with the lack of help and responses here (which really isn't like Plusnet at all).

Also another thing I've just learned is near by devices are best connected to the 5ghz where as distant devices to 2.4ghz, 2.4 is a little slower with a higher range and 5ghz is faster with a smaller range, something I never even knew until my call just now.

Anyway, hopefully this will be ok now and better as it's never been like this before and thanks Smiley

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @robbieglover2k,

I'm glad to hear that you have been able to speak to a helpful advisor and that the changes that  they suggested look to have improved the WiFi signal. I'm very sorry for any inconvenience that the WiFi connection issue caused you and that you were disappointed with the response that you received on here - I will pass on feedback about this.

Please let us know if there is anything further that you'd like to discuss.

Regards,
Emily

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
DrRach

I’m having this issue too, I can be sat right next to the router and I either get no connection or it’s so painfully slow I have to switch my device back to 4G just to load the page. I thought my previous BT service was bad but this is much worse. I also have to reset the router at least once a day because the MyView box is affected by WiFi dropping out and won’t work until I reboot the router. Getting sick of doing this every time I want to watch anything on catchup!
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @DrRach,

I'm sorry that you're also experiencing connection problems and for the inconvenience that this is causing you. Having tested your line, it appears that this may be something deeper than a WiFi signal issue as the line is currently syncing at 43.1mbps, which is below the estimates of 49 - 70.4mbps. However, the test hasn't been able to determine the cause of this from here.

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID BBEUXXXXXXXX

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 43.1 Mbps
Upstream Speed 4.9 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 783.2
Upstream Rate Assessment Low
Downstream Rate Assessment Good
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Technology VDSL
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2019-09-12T07:00:24Z 2019-09-12T07:15:24Z
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

We'll need to do some troubleshooting to try and narrow down the cause of the fault.

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here. If these checks don't resolve the problem, the next step would be to connect your router directly to the test socket, which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the connection stabilises. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. Please see the following guide for instructions on how to connect to the test socket. https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242 Please let us know how this goes.

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

When I called them @DrRach the lady kindly helped me log into the router and change the channels and I think the strength or the frequency numbers or something and it does seem to be a little bit better.

It's not great though, I think Plusnet's routers are just not very good with the Wi-Fi, if they improved on this I think it would be a big improvement for them and push up in regards to their service but there is actually quite a lot they can do after they've split the channel.

Of course we know with Wi-Fi it can be very give and take, it's pretty much like a radio signal however there has to be some substantial consistency with it and much better than what it is so I think this is something very important Plusnet need to take on board and work on with their equipment, though I just don't have much faith they will.

You can buy Wi-Fi extenders too but they are quite expensive and it's not really fair the customer having to fork out for these things either really when really it should be a little bit better than what it is.

Thank you also @EmilyD for the kind reply Smiley