Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router losing Internet connection.

danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Router losing Internet connection.

I've lost the internet a few times recently and today saw that the router was flashing orange as it reconnected.

No power cuts so assume there's someone working on a the street cabinet. We have had some speed increases in the last week and actually exceeded 52Mbps for a couple of days which was a rise of 9Mbps over the normal.

Yesterday we had dropped back to 49Mbps where it currently remains, still a much better speed than I'm used to.

Is it possible to see if work is being carried out on our Cabinet? In particular has there been a software upgrade that  would increase the connection speed, new technology introduced?

23 REPLIES 23
robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

Re: Router losing Internet connection.

I've just had this now myself also, my whole internet dropped, router flashed orange and then eventually came back on again, I hope this doesn't happen again tonight as I'm recording something very important.

I did call earlier because the Wi-Fi signal has gone really weak (my brother in the other room his PS4 is saying can't connect as Wi-Fi signal is too weak which I've never seen on a Playstation and his phone too) and the guy kindly split the Wi-Fi connection for me (which hasn't fixed anything by the way, he still can't connect cause it's too weak).

Can you guys be so kind to fix this please as I don't want to have to go through all the tests and things again, I just need a solid connection like normal.

It's normally a great connection on Plusnet but this has happened a few times in the past, some tweaks definitely needs to be done at Plusnet to make the servers/connection more solid if you can and thanks. 

danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Good Luck. I don't have anything as critical as recording to do but to lose internet causes issues and is annoying. If Openreach are working on my Street Cabinet it's usually during the day, and quite rare but I'm losing connections and can't rule out upgrade work a week or so ago the road was opened up next to the cabinet and there's a new manhole there, which is a bit of a clue.

robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

Thanks, my nephew just came round now, he's also on Plusnet (same area as lives up the road) and he just told me theirs have been playing up tonight too so I'm not sure, I also had my other friends a couple of nights ago moaning at me over Plusnet because they said it was terrible and I recommended them to it, so I don't know what's going on.

I just noticed too going on to a website it was loading the images up really slow which I've never seen that happen before, considering mine, my sisters and my friends all in the same area have started to have problems is coincidental. 

If they are doing any work, I hope it's improvements to the service cause I do tell people how great they are and get them on it then they let me down so I hope they can sort this ASAP.

Thanks Dan, I appreciate it and hope you get yours sorted also Smiley 

cwaite
Rising Star

Yes same here connection has dropped about 6 times since 16:57 today, modem is staying connected but the WAN connection is dropping on the router, so I can only assume there is an issue at PN

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi all @danludlow, @cwaite, @robbieglover2k

Can you all go through our troubleshooting guides here 

It would also be beneficial for you all to try connecting to your test socket as per the info here 

Let us know how this goes. 

Thanks, 

MoR

danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for your reply MoR,

I will go through the troubleshooting procedures when I get time, I am in and out for most of the day and will look later.

Last evening I lost the internet again at around midnight with the Plusnet Hub One's light glowing orange. There was a dialing tone on the phone. I assumed that like the earlier loss of internet yesterday, it would return, (perhaps when reconnected in the cabinet, assuming that Openreach were migrating connection in the cabinet or re-routing fibre elsewhere - midnight made sense for such work).

This morning, the router indicator still glowed orange so I switched it off for a few minutes, it rebooted and eventually turned blue restoring my internet.

This suggests a router fault to me. It's been reliable but maybe there's an issue? Do you get many that fail?

I will keep an eye on it. According to its log it was re-started at 07.12 this morning and it's firmware has not changed since last January.

robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

Hi @MasterOfReality thanks for that, yeah I've done all this before, it gets very tedious having to keep doing this all the time and going through these things (I understand why and know completely of course) it just is really annoying and not something we should have to keep doing every few months or so.

It's been alright since yesterdays drop thankfully but I'm just hoping this sustains, last September I was without internet for a week or two which Plusnet did kindly sort (and even sent me some chocolate ha) but it's more so how it just gets tedious how this is something we have to keep doing all the time.

Plus the fact that as I say my nephew told me his Plusnet had been doing the same, a friend of mine who I recommended  were sending me annoyed messages over it as they've been telling me since they switched to Plusnet they've had nothing but trouble and the connection has been awful (I've told them to call you lots of times but they get annoyed with this which I can understand), it's very annoying and frustrating for me too because I've recommended Plusnet as a good service then when they're not giving this it reflects on me for having them change internet and switch to you guys.

But this is why I say is there some area thing going down or are Plusnet doing some upgrades we don't know about? (Great if it improves the service).

The Wi-Fi thing though is poor for everyone lately for some reason which I'm not sure why, we have to have a box to strengthen the Wi-Fi in the house where as soon as that is disconnected (my nephew recently borrowed it) we can't get any Wi-Fi connection outside of the same room the router is in which is the same for my sister and friends too.

I'm not sure if this is the routers that need improving or if Plusnet need to send out some Wi-Fi extenders to customers as it's kinda unfair customers have to buy extra things when the Wi-Fi probably should be better than it is.

Plusnet ARE a fantastic and great service, no doubt and will always speak highly of you guys but lately there has been a lot of let downs and disappointments which is more heartbreaking than anything else. 

I really hope you guys can fix this soon as there's been a few things I've felt let down with recently. 

Thanks Smiley 

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @robbieglover2k - nice to hear from you again.

I can see that my colleagues has provided some wifi troubleshooting via your account, which is good. In terms of the physical drops (orange light) we'll know more on this if/when the drops reoccur - make sure you're in the test socket to minimise the risk of this if you're recording.

Good luck with getting the tracks down - let us know how you get on.

Best wishes

Dave

danludlow
Aspiring Pro

I have just lost the Internet again, the Router light remained blue this time.

I disabled the Ethernet connection and then re-enabled it, No change, it did not connect, so I changed my PC to Wifi with Ethernet disabled and it instantly re-connected.

The Orange light yesterday lost everything.

I have been losing the internet intermittently for several weeks like this on Ethernet, does it suggest that there is a router fault?

Connected internet Speed remains excellent so one assumes that it is not disconnecting frequently and triggering DLM, can you check my line record please?

In the last 6 weeks we have had about 8 power cuts, some lasting a few seconds, two lasting hours.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @danludow,

Thank you for confirming those details. I'm sorry that you're experiencing intermittent connection problems and for any inconvenience that this is causing you.

Testing your line hasn't picked up the cause of the problem from here so I agree that it would be best to try you with a new router as the next port of call. I've ordered a replacement for you now and it'll be with you within 3-5 working days - please let us know if this doesn't resolve the problem. There's no charge for the new router or the postage as your current one is within warranty.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

Thanks @RandallFlagg , I appreciate that dearly.

The connection has been solid since, I've no idea what the drop was or why but it's been ok since that.

However in regards to the troubleshooting on the Wi-Fi issue, he split the connection or something but it's not fixed anything, the Wi-Fi signal is still incredibly weak and won't even go out of the room it's in barely.

Everything that's connected to the router by Wi-Fi in the same room is perfectly fine and great but like I mentioned with my brothers room (which is just opposite and not far) nothing will connect including his phone and his Playstation which says "Wi-Fi signal is too weak to connect" on the screen.

I had a Netgear Wi-Fi extender in the house previously which my nephew recently borrowed and soon as that was gone this is when we noticed how bad the Wi-Fi signals are on the actual routers, my friends have been getting at me for ages over this because I recommended Plusnet to them telling them how great it was and it's exactly the same for them too and really bad.

It's basically the routers which are really bad with the Wi-Fi connections, the only way we can improve these is by buying Wi-Fi extenders which I don't think is fair customers having to do this when it should be better than it is to begin with.

Other than that it's absolutely great but I do hope you can sort this out because as I say I am sceptical now of recommending Plusnet anymore to people simply because I'm getting stick over this when they're connection is bad and they're annoyed by it after switching from previous providers to come to Plusnet (which they were fine with).

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for getting back to us @robbieglover2k

Unfortunately, there's very little we can do if you've already tried splitting the bands and changing the wireless channel.

We do state in our terms and conditions here that we're not responsible for "ensuring equipment we provide allows you to get a wireless signal everywhere within your home or delivers the speeds possible over a wired connection wirelessly."

Whilst I appreciate the situation is frustrating I'm afraid there isn't anything we can do or offer with regards to this.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

lol That's the response you're giving me lol 

I can't even get a connection outside of the room it's in and it's the same with my friends who I recommended to Plusnet (and they're getting upset with me now cause you're letting them down).

What's happening to Plusnet lately, they're completely going from being absolutely fantastic and the best company out there with taking care and looking after their customers to not caring or even trying to help.

I think it's quite rude when people reply with "We state in terms and conditions here" when you're just asking for help.

Oh well.

danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Thanks EmilyD for your response. I look forward to receiving a replacement router in due course.