Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router loses PPPOE connection & New Hub One

krs360
Grafter

Router loses PPPOE connection & New Hub One

Hi guys,

So I've been having a problem where the router seems to lose the PPPOE connection and it takes a good few minutes to re-establish sometimes seeing the message PPPOE Failure - Other Error. Is this down to the old session not timing out? I remember this used to take forever.

I've been sent a Hub One to replace the old Thomson router, however it seems this is not the cause of the issue and I am now considering sending the Hub One back due to it's wireless performance of no more than 32mbit, but that's another issue. Same frequency, same channel, different hardware 32mbit with the Hub One, 65mbit with my Netgear router.

Has anyone else been experiencing the loss of PPPOE connection? I'm typically online during the small hours but there doesn't seem to be any pattern to the disconnects, other than that they all seem to happen more or less on the hour, e.g 1am, 2am or 3am, never like 1.17am.

2 REPLIES
Malcky
Grafter

Re: Router loses PPPOE connection & New Hub One

Sounds like the router is set to do something on an hourly basis.....I use my own router personally, but I reckon even the plusnet router will have an option asking for something like:  PPPoE connection - with a dropdown box of answers like: Always On, Auto or Manual.  (It should be set to: Always On)

Has yours been incorrectly set to manual or something?

krs360
Grafter

Re: Router loses PPPOE connection & New Hub One

Thanks for the reply,

My mistake, when I said the issues happens on the hour, it wasn't literally every hour, that was he result of an early morning, not much sleep post. I meant that some nights it may go off at 2am and 4am, other nights 1am.

There's no reason for the PPPOE connection to drop, I am thinking about returning to my pFsense box and the OR modem to allow higher levels of customisation and logging. This problem persists across the all-in-one hardware of the Hub One and the old OR modem and Thomson router combined meaning that there's no common point of failure with the hardware I use.