cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router keeps restarting

Eatpower
Dabbler
Posts: 20
Thanks: 4
Registered: ‎18-08-2014

Router keeps restarting

Hi,

 

Just need some advise. I've been having problems with our internet since early September and Plusnet were able to identify the fault. It had something to do with the underground line and the connection to my property.. so Openreach were called out to replace the line which the did and they also replaced the master socket with a Mk.4 socket. Fast forward now and I'm finding the router restarts itself for no reason.. I bought this router brand new and it was manufactured this Summer so I can't imagine it's faulty? it's a ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A 

 

Plusnet are aware of the issue, I  just wanted to know if anyone has experienced the same problem and if so what did you do to rectify the problem? I'm just worried if the router keeps restarting itself it will cause the line to desynchronising and drop the speeds which I don't want to happen.

15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Posts: 14,420
Thanks: 721
Fixes: 12
Registered: ‎01-08-2007

Re: Router keeps restarting

Sounds like a duff router to me. If there was something wrong with the line then it should recognise that and keep making attempts to reconnect / stay connected.

I know you won't like the idea of it being duff but it does happen. I've sent one back to plusnet this week that has been playing up.

 

At the end of the day wherever you got it from, it's still a small plastic box with a circuit board made in china..

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Eatpower
Dabbler
Posts: 20
Thanks: 4
Registered: ‎18-08-2014

Re: Router keeps restarting

Hi,

I respect your opinion on the matter but I actually spent over £100 for this router so it should be more than just “small plastic box with a circuit board” because you’d think spending that amount of money you’d expect it not to behave in such a poor way.
Bluejay5
Aspiring Pro
Posts: 203
Thanks: 54
Fixes: 1
Registered: ‎05-11-2017

Re: Router keeps restarting

Hi Eatpower 

If it goes on line and cuts off we all having the same problem loosing speeds ect. that's all I can help you with.

I love hobnobs you can nibble and then take a chunk out of it
Part of life living
Bitemeh1980
Grafter
Posts: 59
Thanks: 7
Registered: ‎07-07-2011

Re: Router keeps restarting

Been having router randomly disconnect also as well as speed drops. You're not alone. Surely lots of people having the SAME problems lately cant be a coincindence!

Eatpower
Dabbler
Posts: 20
Thanks: 4
Registered: ‎18-08-2014

Re: Router keeps restarting

That’s quiet interesting to read. I’m in the South east region of the Uk

I noticed there are a lot of Openreach engineers in the road behind me messing around with the green cabinets, starting to wonder if that could be the cause of the problem.
bluewhale
Rising Star
Posts: 885
Thanks: 15
Registered: ‎30-07-2007

Re: Router keeps restarting

@Eatpower what package are you on and what is your snr?

dannyboy75
Rising Star
Posts: 110
Thanks: 20
Registered: ‎06-08-2015

Re: Router keeps restarting


Eatpower wrote:
I respect your opinion on the matter but I actually spent over £100 for this router so it should be more than just “small plastic box with a circuit board” because you’d think spending that amount of money you’d expect it not to behave in such a poor way.

 

Cost is irrelevant. It's still electronics, and electronics can go wrong. All it takes is one of the many tiny components to not perform exactly as it should, and you can end up with a faulty device...

Eatpower
Dabbler
Posts: 20
Thanks: 4
Registered: ‎18-08-2014

Re: Router keeps restarting

Can we please stop with the copy and paste comments. If you’re going to repeat a similar comment as someone else, I will disregard the comment. 

Thanks

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Posts: 2,298
Thanks: 790
Fixes: 47
Registered: ‎02-03-2016

Re: Router keeps restarting

Why did you bother asking for advice if you are just going to disregard what people say?
I must have been really bad in a previous life as this was my 3rd ISP in a row that used lithium.
Now you're stuck with me because my new ISP doesn't run a forum Cheesy
Community Veteran
Posts: 14,420
Thanks: 721
Fixes: 12
Registered: ‎01-08-2007

Re: Router keeps restarting


Eatpower wrote: 

Just need some advise.

I bought this router brand new and it was manufactured this Summer so I can't imagine it's faulty?


 So you're asking if there is a chance that it may be faulty, hence the question mark.

 


Eatpower wrote:
Hi,

I respect your opinion on the matter but I actually spent over £100 for this router so it should be more than just “small plastic box with a circuit board” because you’d think spending that amount of money you’d expect it not to behave in such a poor way.

I've replied saying there is the chance of it going wrong, you've then replied dismissing it because it cost so much money.

SO WHY WERE YOU ASKING THEN?

Clearly you don't respect it as you are dismissing the idea based on how much you spent on it. Electronics do fail all the time (though admittedly its rarer than mechanical stuff). New cars have glitches and they cost way more than your router.

TVs go wrong. Computers go wrong. It doesn't matter how much it cost, even iPhones go wrong.

 

Our TV cost £600 new. From day one its had a fault where the eyes on someones face do not move in sync with the rest of the face. When i called Comet about it they even had an official term "Goggle eyes" for the fault. It never got fixed, they went bust. Point is the TV cost more than your router and has had this major gremlin from new so your attitude that it can't go wrong a few months down the line based on its cost is nonsense.

I know there's a lot of trees in the way but try and see the fire wood yeah?


Eatpower wrote:

Can we please stop with the copy and paste comments. If you’re going to repeat a similar comment as someone else, I will disregard the comment. 

Thanks


But you're ok with other people repeating comments about their connections being dropped and / or being slow?

So in other words, you're ok with hearing what you want to hear but nothing else. I hope that works well for you in life but it would be pretty pointless asking others for help if you're not prepared to accept it.

I do hope it isn't your router but my point was to keep an open mind about it. Obviously you though so you've wasted my time.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Eatpower
Dabbler
Posts: 20
Thanks: 4
Registered: ‎18-08-2014

Re: Router keeps restarting

What, disregarding what i’ve been told two times? I don’t need things to be repeated twice.. if I want things to be repeated i’ll buy a Parrot.

If you’re looking to cause some form of commotion can you please go else where.
Eatpower
Dabbler
Posts: 20
Thanks: 4
Registered: ‎18-08-2014

Re: Router keeps restarting

Unless you have a degree in IT or work for a internet company or have actually taken the router apart why would I take anything you say seriously, plus the question was more or less a rhetorical question because you or I don’t have enough proof to prove if the router is faulty only Plusnet or OpenReach engineer could confirm this.

The Openreach Engineer (who is probably more qualified than you ) who visited my property told me all my equipment seems functional and okay, so I don’t see why he would lie.

The router wasn’t even the main drive of the question. so you’ve taken everything i’ve said out of proportion and context so you can try and antagonise me.

I would advise you not to reply to my posts as of now or in the near future.
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 18,541
Thanks: 2,864
Fixes: 234
Registered: ‎06-04-2007

Re: Router keeps restarting

Moderator's note:

Just a reminder that this is an open forum for anyone to offer help and support.

 

Please do not let this thread descend into sniping and bickering as it will get locked.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Posts: 14,420
Thanks: 721
Fixes: 12
Registered: ‎01-08-2007

Re: Router keeps restarting


Eatpower wrote:
The router wasn’t even the main drive of the question. so you’ve taken everything i’ve said out of proportion and context so you can try and antagonise me.


Yet the title of the topic does mention your router.. Thumbs Up

Anyway good luck getting whatever it is fixed. Hopefully you'll be enjoying a reliable connection again soon.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!