Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router keeps disconnecting

FIXED
steveallright74

Router keeps disconnecting

Router: Plusnet Hub One

Fibre Broadband

My broadband was activated on Monday, I had to go into the router settings and manually input my username and password before I could get onto the internet (Broadband username = xxxxxxx@plusdsl.net) -- it didnt automatically set itself up like the booklet said it would.

Every day since then, the connection has dropped out sometime during the day (don't know exactly what time becuase I was at work). When I get home - theres a red light on the router, no connection. I try to connect using my PC or phone, it puts me through to the router self-help page > suggests to go to the 'connection' page > I retype my user/pass, click on connect > back on the internet within 5 secs.

So there's clearly nothing major wrong, but there's something missing on the router settings that means it's forgetting my user/pass to maintain the connection??? I can't see anything obvious to 'remember my details'.

Also I'm worried that if it keeps dropping the connection, my speed will never stabilize. It feels pretty slow at the moment, i've been getting max 15-20 mb when i run a speed test - I think it should be much closer to 35-40 (even if I am a bit of a distance from the nearest exchange)

hope that all makes sense, thank you for helping!

7 REPLIES 7
markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: Router keeps disconnecting

@steveallright74

Having spent some time fixing "fibre" broadband I observe that it is much fussier about your phone wiring than ADSL.

Make sure the router is plugged in to the master socket and (ideally) have a filter plate (vDSL Interstitial Faceplate) separating the incoming line from your house phone wiring.

I am the satisfied customer....
steveallright74

Hmm... thanks, but:

- Router is already plugged directly into the master socket

- Master socket is (I think?) a filter plate, I googled 'vDSL Interstitial Faceplate' and I think that's what I have. BT Openreach socket that the BT guy installed last year - no need for a seperate filter, the cable goes straight from there to the router.

- anything else to do with 'hardware' will be tricky as i'm in a block of flats, not sure if that makes a difference

any other ideas? something that plusnet can monitor/fix from their end? settings on the router that i can edit?

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Fix

Hi there, thanks for getting in touch.

I can see the issue with your username not entering in to the router correctly, your account hadn't activated on our side so realistically you shouldn't have been able to connect at all!

I've sorted that our so you shouldn't see any further issues with that now. All of your previous disconnections have happened at *exactly* the same time each day, 5.33pm. Can you see if this happens again tonight now I've made the above changes on your account.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
elswift

Interesting. My broadband also went live on Monday and I'm having exactly the same issue.
Phoned up and was told that I'd now been connected though. Thoughts?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there,

It looks like your connection is active and stable, are you not able to browse webpages?

Those two instances at 5pm and 10pm are due to router connecting using an incorrect password.

If it happens again, I'd recommend factory resetting the router. If the issue continues, then log into the router settings and connect using your account password.

Let us know how you get on,

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
steveallright74

Thank you for checking it! Seems to be stable, it hasn't restarted itself all weekend

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fantastic, good to hear! Thumbs_Up

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet