cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router help

coastergrotto
Grafter

Router help

I have just ordered a new Dell laptop with 802.11ac Wi-Fi,    I'm currently on Plusnet's Unlimited Fibre Extra and to make full use of the extra speed with ac Ia, thinking about buying a new router.  I was just wondering if any ac router will work,  The one I am currently looking at is the TP Link AC750 Dual Band Gigabit Router (for ADSL2+).  It doesn't mention fibre optic.  Your help will be much appreciated.
9 REPLIES 9
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Router help

Are you looking for a router to replace the TG582/2704n or a modem/router? It appears the latter, in which case you need a VDSL/ADSL unit. The AC750 will work with the existing modem - the ADSL modem part is not used, but like the PN routers you have to reconfigure one of the LAN ports for use as a WAN port.
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
mojorisin
Grafter

Looking to replace both the plusnet router and the BT modem with this unit as it says it can do this also needs to work with plusnet tv
dick:quote
coastergrotto
Grafter

@PeeGee:
Many thanks for your response.   At the moment I have the BT modem which connects to my Thomson TG582n Plusnet router so I assumed that I just replace the Thomson router with the AC750 and connect it to the BT modem.     You say I will have to reconfigure one of the LAN ports for use as a WAN port , is that a simple job?    I was hoping that I could just connect the AC750 to the BT modem and then I would have access to the extra speed.     Obviously it doesn't appear now to be as simple as that.   Am I wasting my money buying this router or should I just stick with the Plusnet router do you think?
coastergrotto
Grafter

@ mojorisin:
Your reply came in whilst I was writing my reply to Phil.    Are you saying that if I use this AC750 router I do not need the BT modem  so I can use it as a stand alone modem/router?  I do not have Plusnet TV so I do not need to connect it to my TV in anyway.
chillypenguin
Grafter

You will still need the BT Modem with the TP-Link AC750 Archer D2.
mojorisin
Grafter

I was looking to use this router / modem as the reviews say it replaces both units
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TD-W9980-Wireless-Gigabit-300Mbps/dp/B00NEQZ12Y
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

have you looked here http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14436.0.html and make sure that the one you get is G.INP compatible on the upstream and downstream
coastergrotto
Grafter

Thanks everyone for your help.    I certainly won't be buying the router I originally planned to.  I think I'll hang on for a while and see whether I think it's worthwhile to invest in a new one,  Maybe wait until the New Year as prices are likely to fall.    Don't Plusnet offer one?
@mojorisin:
I had considered that router and was thinking that was the one to go for but is it G.INP compatible?
@Oldjim:
Thanks Oldjim, a very useful link.

ncstone

If it helps at all i use a TP-LINK TL-WDR4900 N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Cable Router with my Fibre internet, I also have a 2.4/5Ghz channel setup for the wifi