Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router for FTTC

buttimer
Grafter

Router for FTTC

Hello,
    I have just had FTTC installed, which included the Technicolor TG582n router.
  My question is whether I have GOT to use this or whether I can replace it with my old BTVOYAGER2100 router ?
  My issue is that I have an Arduino board on the network and I am having problems with Network Time Protocol (NTP) requests/responses on port 123.  I have tried port forwarding to port 123, but this doesn't seem to fix the problem.  I didn't have any of these problems when using the BTVOYAGER and thus would like to go  back to it for a while (or even forever !!)
  The situation is even more complicated because I am only getting below 10MB/sec whereas the original estimate was 17MB/s.  I currently have a PlusNet ticket raised on this, and therefore they probably want this box in place for the moment.
  But I would still like to know if I (theoretically) can change the router back !
  Thanks,
        Doug
7 REPLIES 7
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: Router for FTTC

you can use any fibre capable router you wish.
whether the router you mention is fibre capable - i don't know.
edit - it appears to be an ADSL router, so no you won't be able to use that.
buttimer
Grafter

Thanks for the info    Wink
Cruise85
Grafter

Thanks for getting in touch
As chenks76 stated, you can use and fibre enabled router. Unfortunately the BT Voyager, due to its age is not compatible with any fibre connection.
Sorry if this causes any problems
Regards
Matt
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

The TG582n does not block SNTP, but your Plusnet firewall will if set to high.
You can check this setting by login in to your plusnet members centre.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

The firewall won't block NTP requests from the Arduino board to time servers on the internet and port forwarding is not needed for this either.
Can you explain the problem in a little more detail?  Is the problem that the Arduino board can't get the time from an ntp server or is that machines on your LAN can't get the time from the Arduino?
The one significant change to your network as a result of changing routers is that the subnet and gateway may have changed.  The default IP address for the Voyager is, I believe, 192.168.1.1 but the TG582N is on 192.168.1.254.  Have you updated the gateway on the Arduino to be 192.168.1.254?
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

From: https://portal.plus.net/support/security/firewalls/broadbandfirewall.shtml
Note: The 'High' setting will prevent the use of VPN software, Active FTP sessions and software which lets you to synchronise your computer's time using an external source. If you want to use these applications, switch to the 'Low' setting.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I stand corrected - Thanks!  Embarrassed