cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router fizzed and died - power adapter?

Pesque
Dabbler

Router fizzed and died - power adapter?

My router’s power adapter (I assume) just made a faint fizzing noise and now it won’t work at all. How do I get a replacement? I only got this (Plusnet Hub One) in March when I upgraded to fibre.

In the meantime, is there any other way I can get online? I’m working from home, so it’s rather urgent. I was going to try the adapter from my previous router (2704N) but the output amps were slightly different and it doesn’t even fit into the new one anyway. I’m guessing I can’t just use the old router in its entirety? I also have an old BT router (home hub 2.0), which I’m guessing won’t work either?

Any help as to how I can get back online ASAP would be much appreciated!
5 REPLIES 5
Pesque
Dabbler

Re: Router fizzed and died - power adapter?

Well I called and spoke to a very nice person who is sending me a replacement router (they can’t just send the power adapter).

I was also advised that I could use my old router if I switched the management settings to Fibre rather than ADSL. I’ve done this, but it doesn’t seem to have worked - the WiFi light on the router is flickering, but the internet and broadband lights aren’t lit up at all. The setting I changed on the router said that I’d need to plug an openreach modem into port 4 to use fibre on it - a step that wasn’t mentioned on the phone.

Any ideas what I can do from here?
Pesque
Dabbler

Okay, this has all been an education! So it seems that my old Plusnet router is just a router, not a combined router/modem (better defined as a hub). This is why, despite the advice given to me on the phone earlier, I can’t use it to connect to fibre unless I have a separate modem, which I don’t have. Is this right?

Also, if a Plusnet staffer does see this - I’ve just received an email saying I will be charged p&p for my replacement modem, which the person I spoke to on the phone said I would not be charged for. Could this please be rectified without my having to call again?
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Well I can't answer the P&P question, but yes the PlusNet router is a combined modem and router.

As you've upgraded to fibre, you will need a new router for that. VDSL and not just ADSL.

There are ways of bodging it, say by having a separate modem and router. No point as you're getting a new box which does it all. I'd rather just have one box plugged in and not mess around with two.

So you had an ADSL router, which sounded like it is on it way out anyway. Anything fizzing in my mains would get filed under 'R' (i.e. rubbish) very quickly around my house. That's not a fire risk at 3am is it?

Just get your new box and it should just be a case of starting it up and making a cup of tea or coffee. Give it 10 mins and it should just connect to your new fibre connection.

Pesque
Dabbler

Thanks for the input. I would’ve just waited for the router without posting here at any other time; luckily my boss is okay with me working over the weekend to make up the lost time.

The old ADSL router is fine, it was the new fibre hub that fizzed and died, or its power adapter at least, hence me trying to figure out if I can get online in some capacity on my old ADSL router. Just looking through similar issues on this forum has taught me a lot about what doesn’t work and why. I suppose it’s worth buying a third party spare hub in case this ever happens again. At least I know I can get rid of my old routers now since they’re apparently useless!

And the P&P issue has since been resolved by a follow-up credit email! I guess I was eager to resolve it all since I can’t do any work!
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Ah ok I understand a bit more now.

So you changed to the new VDSL router and it had DOA power supply?. Well I guess the whole unit (both router and PSU) should be replaced, and I assume you'd need a new Hub One PSU.

Unless both could be faulty, I would return them both to PlusNet who should send you another one (under warranty I would assume?).