Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router dropping connection multiple times a day

FIXED
buaan

Router dropping connection multiple times a day

Dear PlusNet,

Over the past couple of weeks my fibre broadband connection has been dropping with increasing frequency, the router drops wifi, connection and goes through the cycle similar to if it was reset/powered off (green, orange flashing, solid orange + broadband logo etc).

Yesterday it must have done this 4 times an hour at least.

In the past OpenReach visited to fix an external fault, and fitted a new OpenReach socket in the house.  The router is located right next to the socket and is connected directly to the OpenReach microfilter socket.

Can you check my connection for faults?

Please find event log, I will load connection details this evening.

Thanks

B

13 REPLIES 13
Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Re: Router dropping connection multiple times a day

Hi @buaan, sorry to hear you're having broadband issues.

I've had a check of the connection and there definitely seems to be something out of place somewhere as we can see the disconnections from this end, although our tests aren't picking up exactly what's causing the issue so we will have to do some troubleshooting to start ruling things out.

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here

And if that doesn't help the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the drops stop. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here

If the problem still persists from here we will go down the route of raising a fault, please click here and let us know once you've done the checks and raised the fault so we can progress it for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
buaan

Thanks for the reply.  I did all the basic checks last night, the connection is still dropping.

I've plugged the router in to it's own socket, no extension to rule out any power fluctuations.  The router is connected to the master/test socket, the line from outside goes direct to this so there are no extensions etc.  There was a Three Home Signal plugged in, I've removed this at 7:50am today to take it out of the equation.  There is no phone connected to the socket so this shouldn't be causing any interferance.  A year ago OpenReach found an external fault and fixed this, replacing my Master socket at the same time.  They found no issues with my internal wiring as I'm connected directly to the incoming cable. 

Attached are more up to date logs/stats, I've raised a fault.  I have a feeling my router is playing up?

Thanks

Ben

TedT
Grafter
Fixes: 3

Fix

Thank you for the thorough reply . On this occasion I have made the decision to send a router to the address we hold on the account. If this doesn't improve we might need to look at an engineer visit if you've ruled everything out internal.

This should arrive within 3-5 days. It might be worth allowing a couple of days to monitor and we can see where we go next.

Fingers crossed

Regards

Kev

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Kevin T
 Plusnet Help Team
Andercourt

I have this exact same issue! It only became a problem when we upgraded to the new style router. Wifi has been usles since with awful speeds and constantly dropping connection.
Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @Andercourt, sorry to hear you're having connection issues.

Checking from this side everything is looking spot on to the router. The speeds are syncing at 56.8Mbps download and 20Mbps upload.

Please run the BT Speedtester service by clicking here using a wired connection. We would need at least three speedtests.

Once the initial result is completed please click Further Diagnostics. Please type in your phone number and click run diagnostic test.  This will run a test and send the results to the server for investigation.

Once you've done the above, please raise the fault by clicking here and let us know once you've done it so we can progress the fault for you.

Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
buaan

Excellent, thanks for this!  Will report back once I've tested the new one for a few days!

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

You're welcome @buaan,

Let us know how it goes please.

Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
buaan

Thanks for helping with this, the new router has taken care of the problem.  No more drops/resets!

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Glad to hear it's sorted @buaan

Let us know if you have any further issues

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
PeteBogg

Hello Plusnet,

I have been having exactly the same problems, having searched through these posts, but I have been unable to contact anyone by email or phone, and this area seems to get some prompt and helpful response.

So, what I need is a replacement router, how can this be arranged...?  The current one was first installed in November 2016, and the dropouts have been getting worse over the last few months, and I have done most of the tests suggested in this forum and it seems to lead to the router, so please can I have a new router?

Cheers,

Peter Arnold

Andercourt

Im still having this issue. 100% its the new but inferior hub. Everything plugged in works fine but WiFi is constantly on and off. When it is on, the signal is terrible. Its the second one of these hubs I've had as the first also failed. Apparently everything else is always at fault and not the equipment. I'll be buying my own I think
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi @PeteBogg

I've just checked your account and can see that you're using a Hub One at the moment, we still supply these so a replacement would be identical. The connection has been stable and has up-time of over 10 days at the moment which is really good. If you did want to rule the router out it would be worth giving our customer options team a call on 0800 432 0200 and we can likely arrange one free of charge as part of a new deal. 

@Andercourt

Sorry to see that, have you tried changing the wireless channel or splitting the bands? https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/getting-the-best-wifi-signal/

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
PeteBogg

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your response, and I thought I'd replied to you but I can see no evidence of that, so I try again.

I will take your advice and phone customer options, and hope I manage to get through this time.

I am not sure if the last part of the message refers to me, as I have no Wi-fi problems that I am aware off, and most of the devices affected are within about 1 metre of the router,  and apart from when it drops out the signal shows 5 bars.

Cheers

Peter