cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router doesn't support VDSL. Not sure what my options are

tonym63

Router doesn't support VDSL. Not sure what my options are

I'm a bit confused as to the setup for my fibre. I was under the impression I could simply plug my Asus AC87U into my wall socket and be good to go. - hence why I didn't purchase the plusnet One Hub. Obviously this is not the case.  Sad
As I come from Sky I have my Sky fibre router/modem. Is it possible to flash the firmware of the sky hub to use in conjunction with the AC87U to get plusnet? If not, what are my other options?
I'd greatly appreciate any help/advice. Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7
tonym63

Re: Using sky hub as a modem for AC87U

So after a bit more reading I've found that my sky hub doesn't have custom firmware yet as it's one of the newer sky hubs ( http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-router/55355-sky-router-firmware.html)
I'm wondering what would be the best option for me, as I didn't realise that the AC87U didn't have a built-in VDSL modem.
Would I be able to order the Plusnet Hub and piggyback that into my AC87U, or should I just cut my losses and buy a new router with a builtin VDSL such as the Netgear D7000 (http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/network-routers-and-switches/routers/netgear-d7000-nighthawk-wireless-modem-router-10137115-pdt.html)
Sorry for the barrage of questions  Smiley
dannyboy75
Rising Star

Re: Using sky hub as a modem for AC87U

If you're happy to stick with your existing router, and don't mind having two boxes, one option is to pick up an Openreach modem from eBay.
Although they look near-identical, there are two versions (Huawei and ECI). The former can be unlocked, which allows you to log into it and check your sync speeds. Last time I checked the ECI version couldn't be unlocked, though that may have since changed.
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: Router doesn't support VDSL. Not sure what my options are

If you did want us to send a Hub One out for you, you still have the option for this as you're still within the first 3 months of a contract. You'd just need to give us a call so we could take the £6.99 P&P cost to send one out to you Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
tonym63

I did look into that. Seems like an added complication having two boxes (plus its for my parents and I don't fancy troubleshooting constantly).
Preferably I'd be looking to pick something up today from a shop to get the house online ASAP. As far as I can see there's no stand alone VDSL modem available from Currys or an equivalent shop. I'm wondering if I should just pick up the D7000 and ebay the AC87U. Any router with listed as a "VDSL Modem Router"  should be good to plug in to the socket and work as far as I can tell?
dannyboy75
Rising Star

Quote from: tonym63
Any router with listed as a "VDSL Modem Router"  should be good to plug in to the socket and work as far as I can tell?

Yep should be fine as long as it has says that on the box Smiley
tonym63

Great, I'll go pickup a Nighthawk. Thanks for the help everyone!
Oh and if anyone needs an unused RT-AC87U, hit me up!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

BTW they're currently on offer at Maplin if you've got a nearby branch ( and if they actually have any in stock! ) http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/netgear-d7000-ac1900-nighthawk-vdsl-adsl2-wireless-modem-router-a47ub?cmpi...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.