cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router disconnect & lan cable

Walks
Hooked

Router disconnect & lan cable

I am having issues with my router loosing connection and my lan cable gets disconnected at random even when the router has not lost connection. I have tried different cables and ports to no improvement, as for the router loosing connection i’m Unsure what trouble shooting I could do. Turning it on and off a couple of times seems to eventually sort it until the following day or a couple of days if I’m lucky, when it looses connection again. 

12 REPLIES 12
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Router disconnect & lan cable

I'd try another router if I were you. Also make sure that you have not got any other electrical equipment ( that might be faulty and interfere with it ) within a few feet of your router. 

To see If you're eligible for a new router from plus net you'll need to contact tech support. If you're not try eBay . Are you on ADSL or fibre? What set up do you have ? 

Walks
Hooked

Fibre only joined Plusnet last month. 

runhare
Aspiring Pro

Well-

What is the phone line like? have you got any interference or noise?

if so try a quiet line test  with a corded phone  by calling 17070 

full instructions are  here https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/

Walks
Hooked

Phone line is good I check out the troubleshooting link. Thank you 

runhare
Aspiring Pro

if you're power cycling your router to try to clear a fault don't do it too often. Leave it off for up to ten mins before restarting. Regularly restarting it can cause the equipment at the other end of your connection to register somethings wrong and can also cause your router problems as it's designed to be left on 24/7 

Which router is it? 

Id go through the fault checking process and if it's not resolved report a fault to PN .

( given the number of faults reported to PN you may have to wait for a response from tech support. Or you may be lucky and a tech support may pick up your problem here and help! )

Good luck 

Walks
Hooked

The router is a sagemcon Plusnet one, hope that’s right I just copied it from the box.

Walks
Hooked

Contacted Plusnet support told me to check my line with bt (I have and everything seems to be fine). 

Now have to wait 3 days with router plugged into back of main socket. 

They could not tell me why my lan cable was dropping even though the connection was fine. 

So I guess I have to wait until Monday now. 

I have’nt got a spare router to try as I would like to see if that is the real problem here.

runhare
Aspiring Pro

When  you say your LAN cable is "dropping" , can  you be a little more explicit?

Is this a local (Area) network ethernet cable from the router to your computer or device?

If so what is the cable plugged in to ?

What condition is it in?

How are you noticing /  registering these drops?

Or are you referring to soemthign else?

Cheers

runhare
Aspiring Pro

So , you have your line rental with BT . Do you know What tests they ran ? 

( Things can get more complicated and less clear,  when you have line rental and boradnad with dfferent supliers as they can end up balming each other for the problem)

Walks
Hooked

That’s what I’m afraid of. No idea on what test they done. Just said the line is okay. 

Regards to the lan cable, it is connecting my games console to the router so I can get a stable connection, well that was the plan. Have tried different cables and different ports. It says lan cable not connected when it drops out.

Im running wireless currently to try and keep the disruption as less as possible. It’s been fine since I contacted them but had gone out twice prior.

runhare
Aspiring Pro

So  your games console says lan not connected and presumably you cannot then connect on line 

what's the status of  the led on the router for the corresponding lan port when this happens ? 

Have you logged into the router as administrator  and checked the console is shown as a connected device in the my home network set up?  Does it have an IP address in the range the router offers ? It should be between 198.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.xxx

also check that no devices are blocked in the access control panel . 

bluewhale
Rising Star

@runhare @Walks please note that the gui on the router is unreliable ( known issue ) as to whether a device is connected or not, so personally wouldn't use it to try and diagnose things, however you could use the troubleshooting->event log tab with the wirelan category selected in the drop down, you would then see the connects/disconnecs on the lan ports, also has a wifi cat for the same which can also be useful