Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router connection fails

danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Router connection fails

Several times a day (perhaps 10, maybe more, I don't always notice them), the connection through my router seems to freeze.

Lights all show good, sometimes I get a yellow triangle on the Internet icon after maybe 3 minutes, the connection restores and carries on as normal.

This is on wired or wifi. I take it that its my router a Plusnet Hub One. Is this common? I wonder if its losing DNS?

Any thoughts, its annoying, maybe I need to change a setting?

3 REPLIES 3
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Re: Router connection fails

Hi @danludlow,

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing intermittent connection problems on both wired and wireless connections.

I've tested your line but the test hasn't picked up this issue from here and the connection log is showing a stable connection.

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID BBEU08474514

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 48.9 Mbps
Upstream Speed 9.5 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 811.8
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2019-07-04T08:45:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 48.9 Mbps 48.9 Mbps 48.9 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 9.5 Mbps 9.5 Mbps 9.5 Mbps
Up Time 900.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 900.0 Sec
Retrains 0.0 0.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2019-07-17T07:15:04Z 2019-07-17T07:30:04Z
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

We'll need to do some troubleshooting to try and narrow down the cause of the problem.I'd recommend starting with basic checks here.

If these checks don't resolve the problem, the next step would be to connect your router directly to the test socket, which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the connection stabilises. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. Please see the following guide for instructions on how to connect to the test socket. https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

Please let us know if these troubleshooting steps don't resolve the problem.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Thank you for running a line Check EmilyD.

As I suspected, it shows that the line has not disconnected in a long time and is stable. I use Power line Ethernet Adaptors for a direct connection and I suspect that the connection problem could be down to them although I think I also had the problem running on WiFi. To test it, I will switch to WiFi for an extended period and see if I lose the connection to the Router.

Is it possible to have a solid connection but lose the signal?

If, for example, the DNS server was temporarily lost, would it produce an effect akin to losing the signal?

I note that the PlusNet Hub One does not allow setting a different DNS such as the Google DNS, I think it uses the BT DNS? Does that ever wobble?

Also, I have set my Plusnet Hub One to renew the DHCP lease every 5 days. We don't have frequent visitors and the devices connected don't change as a rule. There are 8 wired connections shown and 6 wireless. Some of the wired connections are WiFi connections from other parts of the house using Wifi Power line adaptors, all those are assigned channels that don't clash. Would reducing the lease time be a benefit?

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @danludlow,

Thank you for getting back in touch and for providing the information about your internal network. If possible, I'd recommend that you test with a device that is connected directly to the router via ethernet cable.

It's possible for the connection to look stable from here and for the end user to be experiencing intermittent wired and wireless connection problems, as the connection log only shows when the circuit fully loses sync. In terms of the DNS, this is locked to our DNS within the router but I'm not aware that we're experiencing any problems with this at the moment.

It's unlikely that changing the lease time would make much difference to the connection but it might be worth reducing this to 24 hours for the next few days, just to check whether this helps with the connection issue.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team