cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router and wifi loosing connections

Charlenelbird

Router and wifi loosing connections

Hi@plusnet. I have tried several means of contact to get in touch with some one! I am having issues since taking out a new contract with Plusnet the end of November 2020 when I moved house! The router looks like it’s still connected, blue light but it’s dropped out on all connected devises! The internet is slower than agreed connection! When it works! I am working from home and having to turn the router on and off 3-5 times a day to get any work done! I’ve had the same router since the beginning of joining Plusnet a few years ago! I could do with someone resolving the router/wifi issue also the looking into the connection speed being slow, and not what I agreed to sign up to! Thanks in advance Charlene
10 REPLIES 10
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: Router and wifi loosing connections

Welcome to the forums, @Charlenelbird . Couple of questions - are you on ADSL or FTTC? Which modem/router have you got?

Have you previously chased your issues 'since November 2020'?

John
Charlenelbird

Hi I am on the Fiber extra. I didn’t move into my new home until middle of December, the router problem dropping out, and loosing connections on devises has progressively got worse since January! It was as often as me having to switch the router on and off daily! But it is now! The diviner’s show connected to the router and the blue light is showing as though there is wifi but it’s displaying no connection on laptop,iPhone can’t find the router, TV looses connection, my router is plugged into the main socket in the house, I am having to hotspot my phone to allow me to work without disruption! I’ve tried resetting iPhone, TV laptop off all previous connections to the router abs start again, this made no difference as the connection still gets lost/dropped out! Thanks for the reply.
Charlenelbird

I’ve taken 2 pictures of the router I have had since day 1, I am not sure how I upload them to here? @jab1.
jab1
Legend

OK, @Charlenelbird . In that case, I shall ask the mods to move this topic to the correct board, and I hope the PN Help Team pick it up - there is little any Community members can really help with when FTTC is concerned, but have you checked the 'Speed Faults' topic on the Fibre board?

John
jab1
Legend

@Charlenelbird wrote:

I’ve taken 2 pictures of the router I have had since day 1, I am not sure how I upload them to here? @jab1.

to upload pictures to the forum, click the icon between the 'smilies' and 'camera' icons.

John
Charlenelbird

Hi John, That would be great thanks so much for passing to PN team! I have bought new DSL connectors to see if it was that, new cables. Incase it was a fault with these, but it’s made no difference to the loss of connection to laptop, iPad etc.
Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note(s):

Thread moved from ADSL Broadband to Fibre Broadband.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Bogbody
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

How far away from the router is all your i-stuff?
Download a wifi signal measuring app onto your phone and see what the wifi signal strengh is like where your i-stuff is used.
If the wifi signal level is poor, is it possible to put the router in a more central position in the house?
jab1
Legend

An easier solution is two-fold - split the 2.4 and 5gGhz bands and make sure the devices aren't trying to connect to the wrong one, and if that doesn't work well, replace the Hub1 with a BT HH6.

John
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

You could try splitting the 2.4 and 5GHz wifi bands, it helps with Apple products.

Navigate in a web browser to 192.168.1.254.

Click Advanced Settings

Enter your Hub admin password when prompted (unless you've changed it, you'll find the default password on the settings card)
Continue to Advanced Settings.
Click on Wireless.
Click 5GHz tab.
Change 'Sync with 2.4Ghz' to No.
Change the name of the 'Wireless SSID' - I added a '_5' on the end.
Save the changes.

You can then select which one you want per device.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'