Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router advice

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Router advice

My Plusnet supplied TG582n router has been in use continuously for 16 months, and having just renewed my contract I would hope that it would last another 18 months. But my experience with routers supplied 'free' from ISPs is that longevity is not their strong point (neither is their wifi range for that matter, but I have a range extender which compensates for that shortfall). In the event that the router fails, Plusnet would provide me with a replacement, but I'm not interested in the new Hub zero as it doesn't have a usb port, which the TG582 has and which I have set up to use with my printer.
As I see it, if the router fails my options would be
a) buy a router with a usb port that is configurable for the printer - are these worth the money, do they last any longer than those provided by Plusnet
b) change my printer to wireless - could be an option if the printer starts to act up or if ink cartidges are harder to come by or become more expensive
c) get some sort of usb to ethernet interface for the printer - are these any good
d) I have a working ADSL version of the TG582n with usb port, could this be reconfigured to work with fibre?
Any other options or advice would be appreciated.
My other car isn't a Ferrari
9 REPLIES 9
shure
Grafter

Re: Router advice

depends on your budget of course.  If it helps I have an Asus RT-N66u which has a built in USB print server.  Works faultlessly with my HP all in one printer.  It also has a much better range and wireless strength than my PN router.  Costs around £85 at Amazon at the moment
PowerLee
Pro

TP Link TD - W9980 is a excellent device, there's a few of us on here happily using it with PlusNet fibre, it also has 2 USB ports suitable for file & printer sharing.
As its a VDSL device you can also retire the BT Openreach modem as the same time.
The TD W 9980 is also covered by a 3 year manufactures warranty to  Cool
Its certainly worth a look  Wink
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: maranello

d) I have a working ADSL version of the TG582n with usb port, could this be reconfigured to work with fibre?

Yes just install the fibre version on the firmware.
You can download the firmware here:
http://products.plus-payh.co.uk/firmware/
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

You can also reconfigre the working ADSL  TG582n to act as a router if you decide to keep the BT Modem, by means of a very simple flash upgrade process if you should need to. I believe it can also be reconfigured as an ethernet hub and WAP by running it in bridge mode, but I have not done that myself.
What printer are you using? Wireless prointers are much more common nowadays and relatively inexpensive too so go for that when you need to change it and save yourself some mess!
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Leaving the USB port aspect aside, do NOT get/accept/pay postage for the currently offered 2704n (modem/)router. With it's current locked down firmware it is truly abysmal for users that have anything but a very basic setup. People with wireless printers are even having issues with it. For a budget modem/router the TG582n is an excellent device despite the "complexities" configuring it for some more complicated personal network requirements. It should last you another 18 months, mine is 3 years old. As has already been mentioned it can be reconfigured as a Fibre Router.
The postage money you would save on the 2704n could more usefully be put to buying a more configurable (modem/)router (even a cheap 2nd hand one off ebay).
jockwav
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Another vote for the TP Link TD - W9980 Smiley Cheesy
https://www.flickr.com/photos/james_bingham/
maranello
Pro

Thanks for all the advice.
It's good to know that the TG582n is good for 3 years. My ADSL configured model was used for less than two years, so if the fibre version that I'm currently using fails I could use it as a stop-gap until I could source a replacement. Depending on how long they last, there may well be better makes/models available either through Plusnet or elsewhere, but the recommendations for currently available routers are appreciated.
As for the suggestion of buying from ebay, I'm not really convinced. From both my own and others' experience, 2-3 years is typically how long routers last (although for the most part these routers have been those provided by ISPs). Are there any that would be recommended on longevity rather than features or performance? I've heard good reports on the BT Home Hub.
My other car isn't a Ferrari
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

There are currently no "BETTER" makes/models available through Plusnet, and in light of the current offering of the 2704n (mainly due to poor locked down firmware) I'm not holding my breath with regard to any vDSL modem/router which Plusnet may provide in the future. There are plenty of good models available on the "open" market whether you buy new or 2nd hand and until your Openreach supplied modem fails you might not want to consider a vDSL modem/router and simply go for a cheaper router, to suit your needs in the meantime, should your existing router fail.
If however, as anticipated, it will be some time down the road before either fail, then there will no doubt be even more later and improved models to choose from, and at that time it may be more prudent to consider a vDSL modem/router. This will of course all depend upon your budget, whether you are currently happy with the "two box" arrangement or want to replace them with one box, whether with your current OR Modem you are having any issues with G.INP for example (mainly when there are ECI modems on Huawei Cabs - but I've not kept up with that issue lately) and want to solve that with a more compatible modem/router, or have the ability to access stats etc.
You may prefer the 2 box arrangement with the flexibility of positioning the Router for optimum wireless coverage - long leads connecting vDSL modem/routers to the NTE5a are certainly not recommended.
Longevity has a lot to do with good design as well as users ensuring their boxes have adequate ventilation - far too many I've come across with "premature" failure have been due to poor ventilation, some caused by them sitting on carpets and obstructing air vents.
Having said all the above, if you want to consider a vDSL modem/router in the near future, as you can see from previous posts, several are singing the praises of the TP Link, but you might also take a look at the Billion 8800NL or 8800AXL - there are a number of happy users of those. The later BT HomeHubs seem to have a good reputation as far as being a Router is concerned (not currently using mine to add any constructive insight) but it's only the latest version that can be used as a vDSL modem/router.
I'd strongly suggest you have a good read of the (vDSL Modem)/Router threads not only on this board but also on the Hardware board to get a feel for other users experiences and the other possible makes/models. HTH.
Edit: In which threads you will come across the link mentioned by Oldjim in his following post  Wink certainly a must read.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

If you are considering a combined VDSL capable router then this is the place to start http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14436.0.html