Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router advice.

robquick
Grafter

Router advice.

Hi,
New to Plusnet Fibre and looking for some advice on upgrading my PN router as the Wifi speed and range is very poor on the standard Technicolor box (LAN speeds are great).
My first question is should I buy a combined router/modem or stick with two separate box's ? As it stands my master socket is in the hall, ultimately I need the router in the lounge so I have two choices. Keep the modem in the hall by the master socket and run a LAN cable to the router in the lounge or run a long RJ11 cable from the hall to a combined router/modem in the lounge - is there any preference speed wise (makes no odds to me) ?
If I keep the modem in the hall and have a separate router what make would you recommend ? The ASUS RT-N66U appears to have good reviews however, all the reviews seem to be around 12 months old - Is there a newer version that has superseded the ASUS RT-N66U ?
If I go for the ASUS RT-N66U is it possible for someone to describe the process for migrating from the TG582n to the ASUS RT-N66U.
Many thanks in advance.
Rob.

5 REPLIES 5
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Router advice.

Hi robquick,
Cheers for joining us and welcome to the community!
Combined modem/routers for FTTC can be costly but can be a better solution for some.
If you decided to keep a separate modem and router using a long ethernet cable would be a better idea than running a long RJ11 .
If I go for the ASUS RT-N66U is it possible for someone to describe the process for migrating from the TG582n to the ASUS RT-N66U.

After the obvious task of replacing the old router it's just a case of ensuring it's configured correctly. All the settings you should need are right here:
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/broadband-connection-settings.shtml#fibreConnectionSe...
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

I have the somewhat cheaper RT-N56U which works brilliantly & the set up was via the wizard. It took a couple of minutes. Don't forget to use your FULL PN username ending with @plusdsl.net
robquick
Grafter

Thanks for the replies, I took your advice and went for the long Ethernet cable rather than the long RJ11. So far the speeds look very good  Smiley
Any other thoughts or recommendations on routers ?
Thanks.
Nimrod169a

Like tijara33 I have the Asus RT-56NU. I changed from a BT HomeHub3 as soon as I changed from BT to Plusnet at the suggestion of one of Plusnet's tech. help team. I use a long Ethernet cable from the Openreach modem to the router. The Asus was easy to set-up and provides a very stable output on both 2.4 and 5GHz channels. The coverage is better than the BT router although the 5GHz channel does slow down the further you are from the router. I considered the newer RT56ac but decided against it on the basis that I have no ac standard devices, therefore no current advantage.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

That's a good name Nimrod, I used to fly them!! Roll_eyes