cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router activation when it arrives early

FIXED
redmog

Router activation when it arrives early

There are many messages asking what to do when the router's not arrived by fibre activation date, but what about when it is the other way round?

I was told my fibre upgrade will take effect on 13/10/2017 but router's arrived today, 10/10/2017.  I can't find anything in the correspondence, instruction leaflet or online help to say whether I should instal it now or await a message on 13th.  Can someone pse let me know - and why not make it clear in the upgrade paperwork and emails?

8 REPLIES 8
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Re: Router activation when it arrives early

Fix
Hi @redmog, welcome to the forums!
There should be a note on the instructions to NOT install the router until your fibre has been activated. I also received my router a few days before activation and held off as the instructions said it was important to not connect it until everything has been confirmed. It might have something to do with the automatic setting up of your user credentials once connected (I am sure someone else will be able to confirm why).
My advice would be to wait until the fibre has been confirmed and then connect everything up (even as tempting as it is to get it set up!).

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

redmog

Many thanks for this, jaread83 - I'll take your advice!

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

You're very welcome Smiley

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

drolerif

HI, I have installed mine as i am swithing from adsl2+ from plusnet to fibre, and these hubs are used for both. Works fine for adsl2+, im hoping i dont need to do a reset or something when they switch me to fibre. heres hoping its automatic.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

It should be fine. There'll be some interruption when the fibre connection renegotiates, but you shouldn't have to reconfigure anything.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

redmog

Thanks for this, Dolerif

redmog

Thanks, Bob, that's reassuring

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

There should be a note on the instructions to NOT install the router until your fibre has been activated.

That's only the case for new activations, as plugging a router in early before an account has been activated can cause problems with the automatic setup process.

A heads up, your fibre service is due to go live on the 18th October. It's been delayed due to engineer availability.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet