cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router Upgrade

racer1

Router Upgrade

Hi every one.
I'm new to the site ant to Fibreoptic internet. One thin I want to do is to get a better router that the one plusnet provide.
There are so many choices and so little time, the engineer is due on the 3rd of July..,..
Please could you give me your views on which router to buy?
I use two lines in and up to 4 Wifi connections.
Also I have seen you can watch a remote CCTV camera through some routers and record to a common hard drive with some. Is that true?  Huh
Thanks in advance for any help.
11 REPLIES 11
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Router Upgrade

Also I have seen you can watch a remote CCTV camera through some routers and record to a common hard drive with some. Is that true?

Yes, the vast majority of routers would allow you to do this.
Do be aware that you'd need a <a href="http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/IP_addresses_broadband.shtml">static IP</a> to access cameras/servers etc on an outside internet connection.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

I went for the Asus RT-N66 router which is dual band.  It's high up on the end of a 10 metre CAT6 cable for wifi coverage and seems rock solid.
I went for the HD Homemonitor solution from y-cam for a security camera that connects wirelessly and is viewable online from anywhere. Part of that package is free online recording when the motion detector is activated. I like it.
Let's be careful out there !
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

@Adam, you don't have to have a static IP to use these cameras. You can use a service like no-ip (which the Plusnet TG582n supports), then just use the hostname.
Of course since Plusnet only charge a one-off fee of 5 pounds for a static IP, that is a good option (but not the only one).
racer1

Thank you for your reply's
From reading other forum posts it does seem that  to get the most out of Fibre and WiFi you need to spend something extra on the router.
Thank you Kremmen  Asus RT-N66U is on the possible list.
I was thinking up to £130 but equally there are routers at around £70. Any thoughts on the Netgear Nighthawk R7000.
I love the idea that I can now also check my home with the CCTV.  Is a static IP address safer than a random one. If thats the right word.
The clock is ticking I'm supposed to be being connected on the 3rd of July. So I need a router by the 2nd  Huh
Any more Ideas People
thegame2k0
Grafter

Personally i use the tp link WDR3600 it is very easy to set up and it was multicast ready too, i'd imagine you'd have no trouble using cctv options with it.
Best of all it only costs £45.99 on amazon, it is dual band and the wireless coverage is superb on it.
PeterLoftus
Pro

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14436.0.html
Have a look at the Kitz website  Wink
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Terranova667
Pro

@racer1  A static IP isn't any safer than a dynamic ( random) IP as long as your Pc & router has decent security such as firewalls then either is fine, Static IP is used mostly for stopping the need to reconfigure some devices that need to have the same IP address to function should the connection or session drop. 
racer1

Hi
I have been advised on a

TP-LINK TD-W9980 Simultaneous Dual-Band Dual-WAN ADSL/VDSL2 WiFi Router (600Mbps N)

And previously a:
Asus RT-N66
The Netgear Nighthawk R7000 has had some good reviews but I'm told this will need a VDSL Modem at another £70.
Is that true?
Has any one else any thoughts?
Thank you as always  Smiley
Racer 1
AshPowell
Grafter

I have an Asus DSL-AC68U. https://www.asus.com/uk/Networking/DSLAC68U/
So that gets my vote Smiley
PowerLee
Pro
Fixes: 2

Very happy TP Link TD W9980 user here  Cool
Easy to set up, TP Link also seem to release regular firmware upgrades for it which takes all of just a couple of minutes to update your device.
Had mine since September, brilliant bit of kit & has never dropped the connection or given any trouble.  Cool
racer1

Its looking like the TP Link TD W9980
3 recomendations from three sources