Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router Trouble

FIXED
jono
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 7

Router Trouble

Hi, I went onto fiber at box at the beginning of this year, had one or two issues but resolved, Saturday night we were streaming a film and it started buffering all the time, white circle going round freezing. I checked and found speed had dropped drastically, I checked everything but nothing found apart from router would not reboot and connect to Internet, red light was on continuously, I was lucky I kept my Netgear Router, swapped cables and worked fine and still is, even my line speed is back to normal.
Could anyone advise about warranty for these Hubs, I've been with Plusnet for a lot of yrs and they usually go wrong out of warranty, thought I'd ask here rather than trying to get in touch with customer service.
Regards
Jono
12 REPLIES 12
Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Router Trouble

Probably not worth the effort, ditch and replace it....

jono
Aspiring Pro

Hi thanks for reply, I wonder when they will supply a good quality Router, I've lost count of the routers I've had in the 11 or 12 yrs ive been with them.

Jono
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@jono  The warranty is 12 months but they will send you a new one for the P&P of £7.99 if you renew your contract.

Personally I would put the P&P charge against a better hub. It costs little more to get a BT Smarthub 6 off an auction site such as Ebay.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Longliner
Seasoned Pro

Get a BT HH6 for £10-£25 on ebay or gumtree. Set it up with Baldrick's excellent guide on this forum. We've never looked back, better wifi too!

Edited to add: the man himself was 10 seconds in front of me!

jono
Aspiring Pro

Thanks guys, I'm on a 24 month contract aftter upgrading from adsl, never a bit of bother with speeds etc. I will have a look, like to have one in case of trouble.
Thank you once again
Jono
Polypocket

Hi, my son is constantly complaining that his games are lagging when on his PlayStation. I do find buffering problems when watching movies etc....I seen u recommended getting a new hub, does any hub work with plusnet and is it easy enuf to set up.
jono
Aspiring Pro

Hello, I bought my netgear d6400 some time ago but when I swapped over had no problems, simpl cable switch over from one to the other, dont know your set up but I'm sure one the forum members a bit more technically minded than will help you.
Sorry couldn't help you more, my fiber only goes to the box not to the house directly.
Regards
Jono
Longliner
Seasoned Pro

Posts ^^^ above mention the BT Home Hub 6 but your problem may not be your router -- could equally be poor wiring in your house, extension wires, distance from cabinet etc. What estimated speed are you given by Plusnet? I'm on the 40/10 package but you never get full speed, I get a steady 35Mb. Suggest you run a speed test with your present setup, then plug your router into the test socket accessed by removing the two screws on front of your master socket. Then connect your device using an ethernet cable NOT WIFI which often gives misleading readings.

If you find a big discrepancy then post your router stats, there are people here will do their best to help. But before wasting a lot of time use a wired connection which eliminates the wifi side at a stroke.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@Longliner 

In the first post the OP describes his hub going belly up. It goes on to say that everything came back to normal after replacing the Hub with a spare. Hence the suggestion regarding replacement hubs.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jono
Aspiring Pro

Fix
Hi to all, Just to clarify, all wiring in house checked by openreach not so long ago, new socket fitted. We only have one cable straight to Main telephone socket, one phone (not wireless) and one cable direct to router. We also live about 150 mtrs from exchange so had a good service, at the moment I get speed test results at 37.2 mbps, im on same 40mbps down 10 mbps up I'm satisfied with it.
I asked the question really to see if it was worth getting another plusnet router, Netgear ok so sticking with that, by the sounds of it most people who replied to my question dont like the ones supplied by Plusnet.
Longliner
Seasoned Pro

@Baldrick1 

Agreed, and glad to see jono fixed, but I was replying to polypocket 😊

jono
Aspiring Pro

Hi, sorry about that, was just updating everyone what I'd done, I should have put that in my first post. Appreciate the help thou, I allways find the forum a good place to start.
Regards and keep safe in these terrible times.
Jono