cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router Stats Question

zom414
Dabbler

Router Stats Question

I got hold of a TP-Link VR900 today, hooked it all up and it's running fine.  However, the DSL stat speeds are higher than what I get using speed tests.  When I do a speed test I get about 59 Mb/s which is significantly lower than the 74222 kbps shown on the VR900 (hope I've calculated the speeds correctly!).

How accurate are the stats in my pic?  When I first joined PN in 2013 I was getting about 74 Mb/s and have queried this before but just got told their is nothing wrong with the drop in speeds.  Just curious to know the answer though.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): MAC address removed from attachment.

Thank!  Thought I'd removed all relevant info Smiley

8 REPLIES 8
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Router Stats Question

@zom414

A few questions, 

1. Are you connecting via WIFi , powerline adaptor or cable to the router
  2. Which speedtest site are you using
  3. Have you looked at your BTW IP Profile at http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/PerformanceTesterWS/diagnostics.do , just enter your phone number and click "Run Diagnostics Test"
  4. What is your Plusnet Line Speed set to at https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed (login required)

Any of these answer could be affecting the speed test results. The modem/router stats are generally in the right area.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Just to add a little more to the above, the speeds in your pic are the sync speeds with the cabinet, speed tests can be impacted by many things, not least other people using your link/the speed test site and also how you are testing.

Given that the max rate speeds on your pic are much higher than your sync speed, I suspect you may have had a few problems on your line, but they should increase if everything is OK.

zom414
Dabbler

Thanks for replying:

1.  Cable to router.

2.  The BT one from here and speedtest.net.

3.  Done that and jpg attached, upstream mega slow now, was 20 Mb/s before.

4.  Current line speed is 62.8 Mb/s.

SpendLessTime
Hero

Plusnet Line Speed is limiting you at 62.8Mbps, that needs to be much closer to the BTW IP Profile of 71.84Mbps. Either Chat or Phone and get the "Plusnet Line Speed"  fixed. A disconnect/reconnect at the router will be required to action the increased speed when it has been set correctly.

Also the BTW upstream test is wrong for me sometimes even though the Thinkbroadband and other sites show the correct speed. Seems to be linked to the gateway which the router connects to at login time http://users.plus.net/@gateway_custom?debug-ip=yes

Edit:add upstream speed  sentence

zom414
Dabbler

Thanks, I've tried several times to do this over the past year or so and always get fobbed off and told it's my line and too many connections in my area but I'll try it again.

zom414
Dabbler

Unhooked the VR900 and put back the openreach modem and my N66U and now getting download speeds of 73 Mb/s.  According to the BTW test my IP Profile is now 77 Mb/s but I'm happy with the extra 13/14 Mb/s I'm getting now.  Will keep an eye on it to see if it stays stable.

SpendLessTime
Hero

Wow that VR900 really didn't like your line. Hope you can get a refund for it.

Glad you found a solution.

zom414
Dabbler

Funnily enough it was using the VR900 that showed me the higher speed my line was syncing at so I changed back to my modem and router config and it then sync'd at 73 Mb/s.  I've turned the modem off before for at least 30 mins and never had a speed increase so either using the VR900 has forced the line to sync or some kind mod here on PN has seen my posts and decided to help out.  I know which one I'm inclined to believe Smiley

I can send the VR900 back if I need to so no problems there.