cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router Rebooting/Going Down & Slow Speeds

Meaple

Router Rebooting/Going Down & Slow Speeds

Good evening,

I was going to ring but thought this would be easier on here as I would probably need to give you guys log files. Basically, my PlusNet router keeps rebooting/dropping broadband connection. This has been occurring intermittently for a good few weeks but it has been getting progressively worse over time. I did get some events from the logs on the router from tonight and another day, but it seems some of the logs have disappeared as I cannot see it go down multiple times tonight. Any way, I have log files if you require them. I don't want to post the log files due to IPs being captured in them. I did get a little paranoid as I thought someone was on my WiFi and rebooting my router. I did change the WiFi and broadband password just in case.

Also, can you have a look into slow speeds. I am on the top tier package and I know there is a line limitation around here but it feels like ADSL speeds rather than Fibre speeds (I can raise another topic if need be).

Sorry for the 2 in 1.

4 REPLIES 4
mainsworth92

Re: Router Rebooting/Going Down & Slow Speeds

Having literally the same issues this end. Constant disconnections/reboots and less than half the speed when I joined. Been happening daily for weeks. 

Excalibre68
Rising Star

I've got similar problems but getting anyone to fix it is like getting blood out of a stone lol.

Best advise raise a ticket for the issue but chances are you'll have more luck winning the lottery.

Asus Rampage V Extreme X99 , Intel i7 5960X @ 4.7Ghz , 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3200Mhz
Corsair Dual Loop Liquid Cooling , 480Gb Samsung EVO 850 HDD , WD 2Tb Hybrid HDD
EVGA 980Ti Classified , Creative Recon 3D Sound , Corsair HX1200i PSU
Logitech Z5500 5.1 Sound System , Corsair Graphite 760T Case
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

fwiw, routers don't usually 'reboot/restart' if the broadband suffers from disconnections.  Check your router's status page to see how long it has been running since you knowningly last switched on.  If the router hasn't been running for long, I would have to suspect faulty hardware.  eg. power adapter may be failing if it is several years old.

Can you try a different router?

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
Meaple

@bill888 wrote:

fwiw, routers don't usually 'reboot/restart' if the broadband suffers from disconnections.  Check your router's status page to see how long it has been running since you knowningly last switched on.  If the router hasn't been running for long, I would have to suspect faulty hardware.  eg. power adapter may be failing if it is several years old.

Can you try a different router?

The only other router I have is a TalkTalk router but I can't get it to work on this line, which is weird because it was working fine in my old place when I had PlusNet.

Anyway, after my OP the other night things stabalised a little but now it's rebooting/losing connection again due to invalid packets. The packets were being sent from a PC in the house but not sure why they would be shown as invalid. As a result it seems, the router lost connection again.