cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router Ports

Jinja

Router Ports

Hi. I am trying to connect a Vodafone SureSignal to my router but without success. I have tried 2 brand new Sure Signal boxes and neither will work, so my mobile provider has suggested that the ports on the router may not be active. The connection is via an Ethernet cable. Any ideas how I can see which ports are active please. Thanks in advance.
6 REPLIES 6
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Router Ports

It seems a few people have had issues with the Sure Signal box, much more info available on the Vodafone forum
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Check you have the firewall turned off in your Plusnet member centre?
IIRC it's turned on by default.
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=firewall
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

I have a SureSignal and it worked without any issues. i'm using a Billion 7800 router though.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Do you have a static ip?
Andrue
Pro

Yup. According to their specs though ports shouldn't be an issue(*). Their spec says that data is sent over a VPN so all you need is a router that supports that protocol - most likely just pass through which any router should support.
However I have found a forum thread that suggests the SS VPN might not play nice with other VPNs - are you running another VPN?
https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Sure-Signal/Suresignal-and-VPN/td-p/1643526
The fix suggested there is to stick the SS on a seperate subnet.
(*)If you can still edit the title of this thread you might want to change it to include the phrase 'Vodafone Sure Signal' since the current title 'Router ports' isn't very clear and you might not be attracting any other SS experts.
dick:quote
Andrue
Pro

And to add, I have my PN firewall set to 'low'. Worth noting that below 'low' it says:  "(Please note: This is the only VPN (Virtual Private Network)-compatible firewall setting)."