cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router Keeps Disconnecting Wi-Fi

B1944

Router Keeps Disconnecting Wi-Fi

As a new customer to Plusnet i followed the instructions to install my new router and found i had to log into my Hub to engage the Broadband as although it was transmitting a Wi-FI signal there was no internet attached.  Since then I've tried calling Plusnet but having been held waiting for over 30mins I had to give up and since then I've had to re-boot, reconnect and start my router over 20 times in 3 days as the light will randomly change from blue to red/orange or alternatively disconnect the Wi-Fi, meaning I have to log back into the Hub Manager and un-disconnect the Wi-Fi!  (not helpful when halfway through watching a TV programme and it suddenly vanishes)!

As a "senior" customer who did not grow up with technology, I've had to rely on my daughter's knowledge on how to overcome these problems, as I've never experienced anything like this with previous service providers.

Other than a possible "faulty router" does anyone else have any explanation for these random acts by the router?

2 REPLIES 2
BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 8

Re: Router Keeps Disconnecting Wi-Fi

Welcome to the Forum @B1944

You mention a light changing. Are you losing the internet connection - in other words, the connection from the Hub to the rest of the world - or (just) losing the wifi connection from your device(s) to the Hub? The way forward depends depends very much on the answer.

If the title of the thread is correct - that it is the wifi - then there is a known issue with the Hub. There are 2 wifi signals which, by default, have the same ID. Some kit can get confused and keep switching from one to the other, dropping the wifi connection; there have been reports of the Hub also losing the internet connection when this happens.The solution is to give each signal a different ID.

@bill888 has posted how to do that at https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Devices-stop-working-on-5-GHz-connection-Wifi-drops/m-p/1395....

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Re: Router Keeps Disconnecting Wi-Fi

Hi @B1944 , sorry to hear you're having connection problems.

Checking your connection from this side it looks like wrong password has been entered into the authentication details within the router and causing us to see the connection below as the router attempts over and over to gain connection:

In which case you'd need to log into the router and manual correct the authentication details in order to get the connection going. If you follow the steps below they will advise you how to do so and hopefully remedy the issue you are having.

1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to http://192.168.1.254

If you have any issues doing this via Wireless, we recommend trying to do it via Ethernet cable instead.

2) You should come to a page with information about your connection, click 'Settings' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'

3) Select the option for 'Broadband.'

4) You will see some default options, if not, please press 'Disconnect' on the right and this will allow you to change the Username and Password.

5) For your username, this should be your account username and should be in the following format: username@plusdsl.net
Your password is your account password

6) Press 'Connect' and you should be online.

I have removed and re-added the details which allow the connection to automatically authenticate from this side which hopefully will improve things however I'd advise factory resetting the router before following the above steps in order to potential rid of any router problems there could be. Ultimately, this could be caused by a few things from a faulty router to a issue at the cabinet however this would be the advised step first to see if the problem persists.

Let us know how it goes.