cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router Issue ?

Tempting
Grafter

Router Issue ?

For the last few months (4-5) my Plusnet router has been randomly (as far as I can work out) rebooting itself, probably on average around once a week. Some weeks it does it twice other weeks not at all. This is mildly annoying but not the end of the world.

However over the last couple of weeks (maybe a little longer)  it has now started randomly dropping the wireless connections (Laptop / mobile phone / TV) . If connected there will suddenly be no internet / network access and on checking the device the IP address (dynamically allocated by the router) will have changed to a 169.x.x.x (i.e. no connection) Changing this to a static IP address and entering the default gateway still does not permit the device to regain access. The only answer is to power cycle the router. Once power cycled the devices connect via DHCP again perfectly...until the next time. I can't pin this down to DHCP lease times but have changed this in the hope of isolating the issue but alas this does not appear to have resolved anything.

Devices connected using CAT5 are not affected by this issue

Anyone got any ideas?

2 REPLIES 2
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Router Issue ?

Sounds to me like a faulty device.

Only way you can tell, is to get another PlusNet router say from eBay et al. Also the BT Homehub works too.

They don't cost much and may fix the problem.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Router Issue ?

Hi there. It does sound like the router may have developed a fault.

With that said, I'd try the troubleshooting here incase there's wireless interference.

If you're wanting a replacement, I'd call our Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 and we'll see what we can do.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet