Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reverse lookup.

FIXED
longedge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Reverse lookup.

I have a static IP. Some years ago I had a change made that meant that a reverse lookup of my IP address returned just the IP address (or similar). At the time, I checked and it was working as intended. I've recently checked and find that it now returns my domain (account) name. Any reason why this has changed?

p.s. - Sorry if this should be in another forum, if that's the case I'm sure it'll get moved Smiley.

14 REPLIES 14
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Reverse lookup.

I honestly can't see why that's been changed but would you like me to get that changed back as it was before? 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
longedge
Aspiring Pro

Yes please. I'm also ambivolent about having a fixed IP. It's not something I've ever made use of, it was just a tick box when I joined last time and came at no cost then. TBH I'm not sure of all the pros & cons.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Can I put you on a dynamic IP in that case?

I ask as it's easier, more resourceful for us and I don't have to involve anyone else on this side to get it done. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
longedge
Aspiring Pro

Yes that will be OK. I can't think of any downside as I've never knowingly made use of it.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Fix

OK cheers for that. 

I've unassigned the IP from your account so if you can power the router off, then back on you should reconnect with a new dynamic IP.

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
longedge
Aspiring Pro

OK rebooted with a new IP. Now all I need is to be able to stay connected for more than a couple of hours at a time Smiley

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

And there's me thinking we'd got you sorted! Wink

Yes, I can see it's dropping out fairly frequently. 

I've been looking into it and running diagnostics but we're not seeing any obvious issues. 

I'd give the tips here a try next: https://goo.gl/tu2WWu

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
longedge
Aspiring Pro

Yes - since the 19th Jan when I connected the HubOne, my average time connected has been something like 3 hours although I did have one period when it stayed connected for just over 2 days. Before that I had been using my own router (Netgear R6250) with the original BTOR modem and I could go for weeks without losing the connection.

Is it possible to connect the old modem and then connect that to the wan port?

p.s. - I have a nice quiet line and I'm not aware of any problems. I am over half a mile from the cabinet so perhaps that's a factor as well as the fact that my drop wire and I think the cabling to the cabinet is 40+ years old.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Yes, you should be able to try connecting with the modem into the router, that would be a good idea just so we can review the connection logs afterwards and see if it looks any different. 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
longedge
Aspiring Pro

I've replaced the BTOR modem and have now connected via that (approx 08:30 24/2/18 ) but I can't monitor my WAN connection now. I'll come back to this in a couple of days and perhaps then my logs at the PlusNet end will show whether there has been any improvement.

longedge
Aspiring Pro

The last entry in the WAN section of my router logs shows a PPoE connection made at 08:33 on 24/2/18 and this was using my original BTOR modem, so over 4 days now without a drop that I can detect.

It seems pretty clear that the integrated modem in the Hub One is not suitable for my line for whatever reason whereas the original one is.

Adam, can I ask you to look at the logs at your end to confirm that my connection hasn't dropped over the last 4 days.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Sure, I'd say this looks pretty conclusive:

Link to this file:

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
longedge
Aspiring Pro

Many thanks Adam.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

No problems. Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet