Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reverse DNS Change please

grahamn
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Reverse DNS Change please

Hi

Does anyone know how I can get my reverse DNS lookup changed from <username>.plus.com to something without my name in it. Not too happy that unique user IDs are being used rather than something more generic. I'm not on a static IP.

Many Thanks
Graham

11 REPLIES 11
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Re: Reverse DNS Change please

Hi @grahmn,

Thank you for getting in touch. I'm sorry that you are unhappy that your Plusnet account username is included within your reverse DNS lookup and I will pass on your feedback about this.

There are three options available for your rDNS.

1 - username.plus.com This is the default setting.

2 - IP.plus.com - 1-1-1-1.plus.com as an example.

3 - anything.domain.com - e.g. mail.bbc.co.uk ? To use this option you will need to configure the forward record on the domain. We are required to prove you own the domain before any changes can be made and this will serve as verification. The domain can be hosted on the account or externally.

Please can you reply to the ticket here to confirm which of these options you would prefer? If you get back in touch on here once you've done this, we'll arrange to change the rDNS for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Protech
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

This is the default reverse DNS for plusnet fixed IP addresses , or at least it was a few months back , so I am a little supprised to see this rolled out on dynamic IP's.

There was an option for fixed IP users to get the rDNS changed to <fixed ip>.plus.com by raising a ticket.

I have other security concerns over the visibility  Plusnet users info  from thier IP,s - just to say ensure your local network is sufficienty hardened.Wink

You can check out but you can never leave ( easily)
grahamn
Rising Star

Thanks Emily - The ticket is in as of last week, so will await the change.

Protech - Hi, Yes, I came across the rDNS tag a couple of years back when they were diagnosing faults on my ADSL line. They didn't however remove it until asked some weeks after fault resolution when I happened to check... and now a year to 2 later it's re-appeared again for no obvious reason.

It makes sense in the static IP scenario, but I still think customer's should be aware their plusnet identity is "out there" and visible.

As you say, there are other security aspects and my LAN is sufficiently secure Smiley

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'm not on a static IP.

As far as I can tell, your account *is* on a static IP, I'm not sure why this has happened.

so I am a little supprised to see this rolled out on dynamic IP's.

It hasn't as far as I'm aware. As above, @grahamn is on a static IP.

@grahamn In addition to the options my colleague provided, there is a further one which would simply be to turn off the static IP on your account and move you to a dynamic one. Let us know if that's what you want to do.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
grahamn
Rising Star

I've just spotted that as well Chris. I certainly haven't asked for static IP. Can this be removed please. I assume the rDNS aspects for which there is a ticket will drop off as part of that?

Thanks

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

That should be sorted for you now, the rDNS should show a default view rather than username.plus.com for you from your next connection.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
edwh
Rising Star

Could those that helped here take a look at my ticket for a similar request please?

Many thanks.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @edwh,

Thank you for getting in touch. Your reverse DNS has now been updated as requested and the changes should take effect within 24 hours.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
fata

I sent a question through plusnet asking for the rDNS to be change from the default format to the IP.plus.com weeks ago with no reply. 

I also spent time on chat and telephone but noone seems to be able to help.

It seems that Emily understands and can help.

[Support Wizard Journey]
[Change my Reverse DNS configuration]
[Technical Support]
[Domains & DNS]
[Customer wishes to change Reverse DNS configuration]
[Additional Information]

Can you please change the reverse dns configuration to the format IP.plus.com so that my username does not show publicly.

Thank you

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Sorry to hear this.

I've updated this for you now and the changes should take effect within 24 to 48 hours

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482
Moved: