Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retransmission Circuit BT

FIXED
zishan
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Retransmission Circuit BT

I have had speed issues dec 2015 to date. Firstly CS could not find fault and after ringing the third time in May 2016 I was finally passed onto faults who found a error and passed it on to bt for visit.

The engineer replaced the modem to an older model stating that this was a better model then the newer one.

The engineer also claimed he found loose connections outside and tightened them.

Now here's where my problems have started, The engineer said ill request a reset of the line and you'll get 45mb as advertised on bt website for my area,

After the test the engineer left me with 33mb, I told him for over 3 years ive been getting 40mb IP profile and manage to get 38 to 39mb wired/wireless.

I was told to get the profile changed by ISP and engineer left.

I rang PN and asked for the profile to be set to 40mb and was promptly told it will be set and to reboot router later in the day. But I was still stuck on 33.88mb.

I contacted PN again about issue and was told only BT can set IP Profile and was given a date for BT visit.

The 2nd engineer rang me 20 minutes left to allotted time scale and said that a engineer only visited a few days ago at your property and whats going on. I told him he needed to come to my house as an appointment was made, to which he replied he didn't have appointment and was just querying.

When I was adamant that he had a appointment and should read his notes, he finally said ill be around in 10 minutes.

The engineer arrived and said that their was a appointment his manager told him via phone call about 2 minutes ago.

The engineer spent 20 minutes in/out and came back with that's the best you are going to get, I told him I was getting 40mb for years and told that my line was on a Retransmission Circuit and I will lose 15%????

The engineer also said ISP has not given us any information on what the line should be on. and left

I phoned PN and once again advised that BT are the only ones who can change IP Profile.

And was told I will have to bear with the drop from 40mb to 33mb due to bt changing the pairs and they might have rust on them???

I cannot believe the service provided by PN or BT and want out,  but guess what? I have a 18 month contract and will have to pay 150+ pounds to get rid of anything to do with bt lines and join Virgin.

Has anyone else been told about these Retransmission Circuit and been sent on a tennis match about IP Profile responsibility.

Thanks In advance

45 REPLIES 45
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Retransmission Circuit BT

If you're interested you can read the sad story about BT's roll out of retransmission also known as G.INP here:

Details of retransmission (G.INP) on BT's Huawei cabinets:

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,15283.0.html

The roll out of G.INP to BT's ECI cabinets did not go well and it has now been rolled back in. Crazy2

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,17682.0.html

The start of your problems, Dec 2015, doesn't tie in with either of the above roll outs. The Huawei cabs had been upgraded long before then and upgrade for the ECI cabs had not been started. As most people who had issues due to the G.INP upgrade noticed / reported problems soon after their cabinet was enabled I would therefore question whether you problem has anything to do with retransmission.

zishan
Rising Star

I just explained what the BT engineer said to me and PN said I have to bear with it.

I just want to know why I had 40mb IP Profile for many years and suddenly have 33mb.

BT say PN and vice versa, and finally I get told to accept it.

Andrue
Pro

It could be that old bugbear crosstalk. Most lines deteriorate over time and it's not a particularly gradual thing. You can go without problems for months and years until suddenly one particular neighbour gets fibre and you lose some speed. There is a test that BT engineers can run that supposedly detects crosstalk but I'm not sure when they run it. I'd hope it'd been run by one of the engineers that visited you but equally I'd hope they'd mention it if they saw that on the report.

If it's crosstalk there isn't anything you can do about it. It might even improve one day if your neighbour cancels the service but that's probably uncommon. There's technology in the pipeline that helps but it's unknown if BT are rolling that out everywhere or are targeting specific areas. Given what a naws up they've made over the relatively simple G.INP I'm not hopeful for their Vectoring plans Roll_eyes

zishan
Rising Star

Im going to virgin, that way ill get away from bt lines, I've lost 7mb on IP profile. I got to wait till contract runs out in June 2017. Shame really I was quite happy with PN for 5 years but going from 45 to 39 to 33mb is last straw, going towards adsl speeds eventually.

aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Plusnet - is the circuit banded, can you tell?   That sounds like what the earlier engineer was saying "The engineer said ill request a reset of the line and you'll get 45mb".  If so then I believe only BT can remove the banding and normally only on resolution of a fault which sounds like exactly the situation here.

Andrue
Pro

@zishan wrote:

Im going to virgin, that way ill get away from bt lines

Jumping from the frying pan into the fire, possibly. Hopefully you'll do okay but there are some pretty dire stories about VM. It seems to depend where you live. And if you're an avid game player you won't be happy with the jitter on their network.

But best of luck.

zishan
Rising Star

I just want to get my normal speeds back to 40mb ip profile. Is that too much to ask?

I live with a cluster of 5 properties and have sky, vigin, bt-fon,  only showing up on inssider.

Jumping from the frying pan into the fire - Lol

aesmith
Pro

What's your estimated line speed?   If you're below that then get onto Plusnet and hassle them to fix it.  If you're within the estimate, then ask Plusnet whether the line is "banded", and if so to press them to get that removed.

Can you post router or modem stats so we can see SNR, synch speed, errors etc?

zishan
Rising Star

When I sign into PN this is what it shows.

Estimated line speed:

There's no speed estimate currently held on your account.

Current line speed:

33.2 Mb

I have a Asus N56u router running padavan firmware and only located following info in Log

Jun 2 16:34:45 kernel: br0: port 3(rai0) entered disabled state
Jun 2 16:34:46 kernel: br0: port 3(rai0) entered listening state
Jun 2 16:35:01 kernel: br0: port 3(rai0) entered learning state
Jun 2 16:35:16 kernel: br0: topology change detected, propagating
Jun 2 16:35:16 kernel: br0: port 3(rai0) entered forwarding state
Jun 2 16:36:44 kernel: br0: port 3(rai0) entered disabled state
Jun 2 16:36:45 kernel: br0: port 3(rai0) entered listening state
Jun 2 16:37:00 kernel: br0: port 3(rai0) entered learning state
Jun 2 16:37:15 kernel: br0: topology change detected, propagating
Jun 2 16:37:15 kernel: br0: port 3(rai0) entered forwarding state
Jun 3 16:14:04 NTP Client: Synchronizing time to time.nist.gov.
Jun 4 00:03:49 miniupnpd[438]: removed 12 unused rules
Jun 4 03:33:56 miniupnpd[438]: removed 12 unused rules

If you can kindly give me more info on how to obtain the other info you required, that'll be most welcome.

I have been on 40mb for many years

zishan
Rising Star

BT dslchecker is showing 45.1 on their website for line.

zishan
Rising Star

Update:- Spoke to PN they advised Banded is only on adsl not fribre

And also they do not accept bt dsl check band a of 45.1 they go by the band b.

Ive had another drop of Ip Profile to 33.56 now and PN promised to pass it back to faults, grrr

npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

@zishan wrote:

Update:- Spoke to PN they advised Banded is only on adsl not fribre

That's rubbish, I've been banded on fibre.

aesmith
Pro

Spoke to PN they advised Banded is only on adsl not fribre

OK maybe they use different terminology, I've seen it called "capped" on FTTC (but also "banded" as well).  To be honest I think they'd have to be pretty pedantic to pretend not to understand on that basis, so I'm going to assume the Plusnet guy you spoke to just didn't know enough about FTTC.   

FTTC can definitely end up banded/capped by DLM, and unlike ADSL the ISP can't reset the banding/capping, only Openreach can do so and I believe it may need a visit to the cabinet.   There seems to be a sorry history of users who've ended up with banded FTTC and struggle to get it resolved.

And also they do not accept bt dsl check band a of 45.1 they go by the band b

A few times on the forums Plusnet have stated that their estimate is based on the lower of the clean figures, see this post for example ..

https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/Plusnet-s-Fibre-estimates/m-p/1119984/highlight/true#M263860

Regarding router stats I don't know your particular model, and it sounds as if you have aftermarket software on it as well.  What I was interested in was Noise Margin, Synch Speed and Attainable Rate.

zishan
Rising Star

This is the response I received

Unlike ADSL broadband, Fibre we do not have the facility to remove the banding on your line. Banding is set by the DLM and is reset by the engineers on site. They unfortunately do not give the service providers this facility on this type of network.

If this is something you wish we would need an engineer to come out to re-evaluate the line and perform a reset as he sees fit.