cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restarted router and now getting lower speeds

Casterina
Dabbler

Restarted router and now getting lower speeds

My router (Archer VR200 V2) and line has been stable but last night, our devices couldn't connect to the internet but the router showed the internet status as connected so we just left it and went to bed. I went to check it this morning but same result so I restarted the router via the router's settings page and the internet is now working fine but speeds has lowered.

Before the router was restarted, the downstream max rate was around 68000 and downstream current rate was 72000 with 3dB SNR margin, so do I need to wait for DLM to bring down the SNR margin as I believe this is the case affecting the speed?

pn1.jpg

17 REPLIES 17
Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Re: Restarted router and now getting lower speeds

Hi there @Casterina

Thanks for getting in touch.

I've just tested your line and it seems you're actually syncing below your expected estimates. Currently you're only getting 55.2Mbps which is below your estimates of 59.8-80Mbps which leads me to suspect there may be an underlying issue.

It might be worth running through our troubleshooting guides HERE and see if there's any improvement.

If there's still an issue after this, can you get back to us and we'll investigate further.

Casterina
Dabbler

@Optimatts Thanks for your reply, I have done the Quiet Line Test and the line is quiet with no noise and also, the router and phone is connected to the MK3 faceplate.

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Hi @Casterina,

I was just checking a few further things and I've noticed there's two activate connections from two different devices listed. There's two routers listed on your account did you give one to a friend, colleague or sell? If so can you provide the serial number for the router you have so we can delete and remove the other from your account. Ideally if you know the person it would be good to give them an FYI as I'll also kill their session, if not can you let me know. 

Casterina
Dabbler

@JOLO I have sold the Plusnet Hub One router as I'm using the Archer VR900 V2. Was it recently that there's two activate connections on the account or was it there the whole time?

Also, I have PMed you the router's serial number.

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Ah Okay @Casterina

Our router's have auto-setup so when you've sold it if the serial number's not removed from your account that router will automatically connect up - FYI in future if you do this you must let us know to prevent an issue like that happening. You don't have a static IP but if you did one of the connections just wouldn't be able to pass data.

You have two Plusnet Hubs listed on the account, I've deleted the automatic setup data from both of them, if you still have one and end up using it in the future just keep in mind that auto-setup will not work. If you've binned it, or it never arrived then ignore me. 

The other connection that's connected has been removed so it's no longer listed.

I know you sent your router serial number but I can't do anything with it, apologies I assumed you were using a Hub One and just wanted to clarify which one on the account was the one being used, I realise now you did actually say you were using a different router in the first line of your original post. 

Right, now that other connection has gone can you reboot your router and see if your sync increases at all, as I think one of them was probably dictating and setting a sync speed, if that makes sense. 

Casterina
Dabbler

@JOLO Thanks for your reply, should I reboot the router via the router's settings page or by the on/off switch at the back of the router?

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Either should be fine @Casterina.

Casterina
Dabbler

@JOLO I have rebooted the router but the speeds are the same.

pn2.jpg

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Sorry to hear your speeds haven't increased after the reboot @Casterina

At this point, we'll need to go down the fault route.

If you can raise the fault here and then post back once you've done so we'll get that picked up for you

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Casterina
Dabbler

@MatthewWheeler I have raised a fault on my account.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Thanks for getting back to us @Casterina.

We've raised this to our supplier and updated the ticket with the next steps.

Can you let us know once you've responded and we'll get that picked up for you

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Casterina
Dabbler

@MatthewWheeler I have responded to the ticket and regards to internal wiring, is that the master socket?

Also, will the engineer visit the house or my local exchange?

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @Caterina,

It is anything after the cover of the master socket, this is why we ask you to take off the cover and plug it in to the test socket behind the cover.

The engineer will be appointed to visit your property but this could entail going to the exchange to investigate the location of the fault.

I have updated the fault ticket on your account. Please click here to view my response.

Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
Casterina
Dabbler

@Beyhive I'm certain it isn't a fault caused by my equipment (router) or internal wiring as I was getting around 68-70 Mbps since I joined Plusnet and speeds only lowered last Tuesday when I restarted the router.

Also, I don't have a microfilter to try the test socket as I have the MK3 faceplate but I will keep the thread updated with the result tomorrow.