Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reset Router?

danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Reset Router?

BTO Engineer has reset my line this morning. Speed Down increased 1 Mbps, and Uplink increased by 3mbps. However, router now says that downlink is at 53Mbps (increased from 29999kbps) and Uplink has increased to 15Mbps from 8.9Mbps. Maximum connected speed is shown over 70Mbps Down.
The link is learning after resetting, should I wait for the speed to increase, or reset the modem? The line was disconnected for testing before the reset and reconnected physically by the BTO Engineer. I don't want to upset DLM.
7 REPLIES 7
ian007jen
Rising Star

Re: Reset Router?

Reset router....reset modem

Whey you say reset what exactly do you mean?Huh
Do you mean the router or the modem?
Or do you have a combined router/modem?
You can login to the router and disconnect the pppoe connection, then power down the modem wait over 30 mins then power back up the modem and re-establish the pppoe connection.
Maximum connected speed is shown over 70Mbps Down.

Is the the reported max attainable speed?
If g.inp is enabled on your line you will not be able to sync anywhere close to this figure (it seems to be even more exaggerated than ever)
Ian
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for replying ian007jen.
Sorry if I was ambiguous. the Engineer reset the cabinet connection. My router is a combined modem Router. Before reset I was at 30mbps Down, after reset, Speed test shows 31Mbps down, Up has increased to 12Mb from 8Mbps, yet the log on my Modem Router shows me to be connected at 53Mbps Down, and 15Mbps Up.
The underlying connection speed is over 70mbps down, as you say unobtainable.
I'm assuming that something isn't syncing and needs a modem/router reset, but also assume that doing so risks DLM intervention.
I will try to reset as you say, I don't find the combined unit easy to reset the router without interfering with the modem. As the modem is recording the faster connections it's a bit of a puzzle.
ian007jen
Rising Star

Ahh....reset is the wrong term....unless you do mean a full factory reset.
You need to check your plusnet profile https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed this is probabbly set at 30 Mbps and will update sometime in the future.
Also your BT ip profile may need to update
Run the speedtester http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ ...and after the speed test completes click "Further Diagnostics" and it should display your BT IP profile.
The underlying connection speed is over 70mbps down, as you say unobtainable.

You cannot be connected at 53 Mbps and the underlying connection speed be 70 Mbps.....this is again the wrong term .......this is just a figure the modem "thinks" it may be able to connect at given ideal conditions, most modems report this as the maximum attainable speed and, as we have both agreed is not really attainable.
Ian

PS just seen your other post http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,139059.0.html   probabbly your profile is wrong
edit:typo and PS
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Many Thanks ian007jen, Very helpful.
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

During the night (roughly 04.00) there was a reset according to my log. Odd things happening. BTW Performance shows profile now 50mbps (was 30mbps for weeks)  confirmed by router log at 52mbps but Speedtest shows all over the place. sometimes 12Mbps down, Sometimes 35Mbps, often between the two. Up has increased to 16Mbps at the socket 14mbps at the PC.
CRC errors down (zero over the last week) are at 60,000 this morning and increasing at a rate of knots.
All very Puzzling, glad that the guy at PlusNet who tested the line last evening said that they would return the ticket to BTO/BTW as unresolved. Last night was steadier than this morning. To me the Uplink speed is the best overall speed indicator as this is more reliable, whatever test and whatever you are connecting with (Cable, WiFi, Tablet, Laptop, or PC, the uplink speed is very similar when tested, whereas downlink is different for each).
My speed is capped at 40mbps in theory as product is Fibre basic (40/20) last night the restriction was removed for a while to see if it affected speed, and the speed rose a little, but not in proportion, and certainly not as expected by the PlusNet guy, hence the on-going fault status.
Interesting, if a tad frustrating.
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Have just done an OOKLA Speed test. Down has apparently dropped to between 6 Mbps and 15Mbps whilst Up remains at 14Mbps. CRC Errors Down are 220000 and climbing fast over 8 hours.
This looks like a similar fault to one we had in (January?) where the Port we were connected to was generating Errors at a rate of knots. I'm imagining that DLM cut in and increased the SNR to block out this interference as before BTO Engineer yesterday I had no CRC errors UP or Down, but high SNR and slower (but stable) speed.
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Further to this, the down speed just dropped away to zero. a window came up suggesting that I restart the modem/router which I did, speed has returned up and down Down about 35Mbps Up about 15Mbps. BTW Performance test shows connected at 50Mbps, although I suspect that my connection is restricted to basic speed (40/20) as I was downgraded because the Fibre Extra Speed could no longer be delivered (I was told) Checks last week found no crosstalk interference.
Something is wrong and CRC errors Down a re still generating at a rate of knots Well over 250,000 today in less than 20 hours.