Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requesting alternative location for BT ONT

FIXED
MrCow

Requesting alternative location for BT ONT

Hi All,

I am contemplating upgrading to plusnet fibre. My issue is in the vicinity of where BT would install it by default (immediately opposite the entry point into the wall) there is no power. It would also not be practical in terms of connecting to my existing data cabling. I also do not want cabling on show, no matter how "flat" and "flexible" the fibre cable is.

If I was to install a straight-ish run (no nasty bends) of conduit/ducting buried in the wall from the anticipated entry point to the location of where I would like the ONT and also a drawstring, would the Openreach engineer likely be happy to draw their fibre through it and install my ONT where I want it? I was thinking around 10mm diamater, should this be wide enough to acommodate the connectorised fibre?

Also, all my data around the house cabling terminates in the loft which is where I'd like the ONT. I've read somewhere that Openreach won't let their staff work in lofts, which I can understand, but my loft is boarded out with ladders and lights, would that still preclude them from working in the loft?

Thanks Smiley 

5 REPLIES 5
Baldrick1
Fixes: 414

Re: Requesting alternative location for BT ONT

@MrCow  

ONTs are only fitted to terminate a FTTP fibre filament at a property. Plusnet only supply FTTC so the final leg to the property is transmitted down the existing wired telephone connection.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MrCow

Of course, I forgot about that. I'm presuming some point soon they will start offering full FTTP products? My exchange doesn't support FTTC but I could order FTTP with Sky, BT etc.

But I would still like to get conduit in ready if/when I ordered.

Bogbody
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Fibre from Plusnet? That'll be Fibre to the Cabinet "FTTC". The broadband will be delivered to your existing telphone master socket.
Do you have a mains power socket near your existing telephone master socket?
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Fix

@MrCow 

If the checker shows WBC FTTP (in the left hand column) as available then you can indeed order the product from an alternative ISP. https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

I'm afraid you'd probably have a long wait if you wish to stay with PlusNet. There is no sign what so ever of them offering FTTP - they need to re-write their back office systems first.

As to an actual install - it can depend on the engineer doing the job. If you get a jobs worth then they'll go by the book. Get one that's willing to look at things and you never know.

I made a mistake with my ONT but that aside the engineer was happy to run the fibre cable round the skirting board to a back wall. I didn't envisage the cable being stapled to the board. The only thing I can suggest is to install the conduit with a draw string and hope for the best. Note that the entry point could also be up for negotiation but once again it depends on the engineer. I had a hole drilled in the wall but later installs for neighbours came in though the existing phone line entry.

Brian

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@MrCow 

I perhaps should have added that in the current health situation an OR engineer may not (probably will not) be prepared to go up to the loft, even if they might have done under normal conditions.

Brian