Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requested DLM Reset - not actioned?

FIXED
dickij
Dabbler

Requested DLM Reset - not actioned?

Good evening

I've been battling with some internal interference issues for some time which dropped my speed from the mid 40s to mid 30s and the DLM rightly increased my SNR target to 10db to keep stability. 

Finally I've realised that this has all been caused by the powerline setup we had and after getting rid of them all for some good cat6 my SNR has increased to reflect this - which has lead me to believe I've resolved the issue. I called the other day to request a DLM reset and was advised this would happen within 5 mins after the call - however I don't believe this has happened? When openreach have been out in the past and reset the DLM the internet instantly disconnects and the sync speed returns back up in the 40s (albeit with instability as I still had the powerlines).

Is it possible for a DLM reset to now be actioned now that I've resolved an internal fault? Plusnet were able to reset this remotely during the early days of the fault as I thought it was just a 'glitch' at the time.

I know from early experience that the DLM is reluctant to increase IP profiles on it's own as I had a 20mb profile in the early days due to a line fault and a reset was required then - I still don't hold much faith it in it doing it now.

Many Thanks

Josh

11 REPLIES 11
JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Re: Requested DLM Reset - not actioned?

@dickij,

I've had a look at your account and can see you spoke to someone on the 14th October. They haven't put notes on to say what that was related to but I assume it's the conversation you're referring to. 

I can't see a reset was put through on this line, but resets can't just be put through on FTTC connections at the moment. There's a trial service running with BT Wholesale but there are some strict rules as to which lines can be added. I've checked and yours wasn't added to that, and it wouldn't apply to the regs that BTW set for a reset to be performed. That means the only way to get an SNR reset on an FTTC connection is by raising a fault, that said below are the line tests from your connection - 

Line estimate - 

The GEA test for the line - 

So there is a slight profile dip (as your profile should be .0128M-40M down and 0.128M-10M up), DLM will automatically retrain your line within a couple of days of stability or we can go down the fault route but you'll have to have an engineer come out to reset the line.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@JOLO the line is banded at 35Mbps downstream 6Mbps upstream, I wouldn't agree that those are "slight profile dips" as you call them. Downstream is down 12.5% and DLM will not remove banding in a hurry, if ever. The rules for requesting a remote DLM reset would appear to be too strict causing customers the inconvenience of engineer visits to perform DLM resets, which they are known to refuse in some cases.Sad

dickij
Dabbler

@JOLO thanks for your time.

That is unfortunate to hear as I've had DLM resets remotely in the past - I guess I must have been speaking to someone on the trial, or the ruled hadn't been set then.

My drop line isn't looking the best either - where it connects to the wiring that runs down my home has been pulled out of it's box and is now exposed. Would a call out for such a task be at cost to myself - or am I best ignoring this and putting a fault in for the DLM issue?

dickij
Dabbler

@RealAleMadrid

You're 100% correct. 5mbps might seem small but relative to what I can achieve it's a significant difference. You're also right about wasting both mine and an Openreach engineer's time - especially as last time I'm sure the DLM was reset by an app or a call on his phone? His presence really is unnecessary.

It could even be in a customer's interest to just keep pulling the wire on the router until the speed gets bad enough that it meets these "strict" rules.

dickij
Dabbler

@JOLO

Out of curiosity what is the rules for the DLM reset trial? I was under the impression a DLM reset was standard practice when resolving a line issue - which I have done. Here below you can see my line test results from February where I was on a 49m profile but had lost my speed due to interference. I've now resolved that - surely the next step is a DLM reset to bring me from 35 back up to 49?

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 38.2 Mbps
Upstream Speed 5.7 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Not Run - Unable to run
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 1052.5
Upstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed on Week Days
Service Impact Retrains Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence From 21:30 to 21:45
Interference Location Unknown
Interference Observed In Days 4
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-49M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2018-02-01T14:00:00

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Fix

Hi @dickij 

The full ins and outs of these rules are mind boggling to say the least, but it essentially boils down to "is the profile right" (for want of a better explanation".

In your case, the profile is not right - therefore I have requested a DLM reset for you. 

My colleagues previous post still holds truth - so I am requesting on faith and hopefully they will remedy the situation. 

Thanks, 

MoR 

dickij
Dabbler

@MasterOfReality

Excellent thank you!

I appreciate the lines and the equipment is ultimately owned and controlled by Openreach and ISPs are stuck with the little power they grant you. I didn't want to come off as an awkward customer but needed to display some dissatisfaction so that ISPs can feed back to Openreach that their practices do not allow you to deliver good customer service.

I'll have a look at my connection when I get home and if it's been reset I'll mark it as resolved Smiley

Many Thanks

Josh

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

@dickij 

Just so you are aware.

It can take up to 48hrs (depending on workstacks) for this to complete - sorry, should have said that in my initial reply. 

MoR 

dickij
Dabbler

Not a problem - knowing my luck it'll happen when I'm working from home Grin

dickij
Dabbler

@MasterOfReality

Thank you, the reset has gone through! It's been training the last few days and is currently on 42mbps... I've noticed however my speed results have stayed the same with it maxing at 32mbps, like it was before, on ethernet. Is there any chance that my speed is still capped somehow, or is it just syncing a little too fast still and there are errors that are affecting performance? Can you see on your end if there's a cap or errors happening?

I take it back, now getting 38-39 in download speeds. Thanks again!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Glad to hear the reset went through and your line speed has improved!

Feel free to let us know if you need any further assistance.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet