Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request for a GEA test please.

Malcky
Grafter

Request for a GEA test please.

Hi there,

Can I have a GEA test on my line.....It seems like some sites are very slow to load up the pages....including this forum that if feels like im back in the days of dial up.

I just want to see if there is anything that is revealed in the test.

Thanks

35 REPLIES 35
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Request for a GEA test please.

Hi @Malcky

I've tested your line and here's a copy of your test results:

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 73.9 Mbps
Upstream Speed 20.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 370.1
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Good
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-74M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2018-12-25T17:00:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 74.0 Mbps 74.0 Mbps 74.0 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 20.0 Mbps 20.0 Mbps 20.0 Mbps
Up Time 897.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.9 Sec
Retrains 0.0 0.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2019-01-07T16:27:53Z 2019-01-07T16:42:53Z
Ingress Code Violation 2 1
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

image15468796883862
We're not seeing the cause for the speed problems you're experiencing.

Are you using a wired or wireless connection?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Malcky
Grafter

Thanks @Gandalf

I have tested it on both wired and wireless connections and some sites do seem slower than other to load....mostly forum sites that I use.......never have an issue with any streaming sites using multiple devices at the same time......just forums that I use seem to be very sluggish.

I see that my line still has a 74Meg banding on there......can this be removed (I thought it had been months ago) as there should be NO reason to have that on my connection.

Thanks

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

There's normally always a reason behind banding being applied by DLM.

Looking back your connection has been dropping historically so it may have been because of that.

I've e-mailed a colleague to add your account to the DLM reset tracker for a remote reset. I'd allow 3-5 working days for this to be actioned, but being only a trial there is no guarantee this will be successful.

Even if it is successful your sync speed may not even increase. It's also worth noting that the 6mbps drop in speed will highly unlikely be causing any issues at all but let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Malcky
Grafter

Thanks again @Gandalf

I realise that the banding won't or unlikely have any affect on the sluggish forums that I use, but as I never used to have the banding in place before I just wanted to have it removed seeing as there shouldn't be any in my case.

Thanks for asking a colleague to do a DLM reset, I will probably be back in touch with an update in a weeks time......and to ask for a new GEA test too.   lol

Question.....If and when the DLM gets reset, will that drop my connection?  If so, that will make it easy for me to know if its been done.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No worries. It may drop the connection but it may not. Difficult to find or track when they're done because as far as I'm aware we don't get any feedback after we send them off to our suppliers.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Malcky
Grafter

HI there,

I am going to assume that my DLM reset has been done as I have had drop in connection today and unfortunately it would seem to have had really bad results in terms of speed and ping times based on the ping monitor I use on thinkbroadband website.

Ping monitor prior to today drop:

IMG_0244.jpg

And how the Ping monitor looks now:

IMG_0243.jpg

The pings have nearly doubled and the download speeds have dropped by nearly 10Meg.

Screen Shot 2019-01-09 at 19.06.51.png

The drop happened around 4pm today......does the line go through some sort of re-training when its been re-set? does a new GEA test show any issues?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the update.

Apart from what you're seeing on the tests you're running, are you experiencing any actual performance problems?

Our tests aren't showing any change to the banding but it looks like your sync rate has dropped.

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 64.4 Mbps
Upstream Speed 20.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-74M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2018-12-27T19:45:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate -1 Mbps -1 Mbps -1 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate -1 Mbps -1 Mbps -1 Mbps
Up Time -1 Sec -1 Sec -1 Sec
Retrains -1 -1 -1
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2019-01-09T19:27:51Z 2019-01-09T19:42:51Z
Ingress Code Violation 1 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

As you're below estimates and if you've tried plugging your router into the test socket (behind the faceplate of the master socket), I'd report a fault at http://faults.plus.net so we can arrange an engineer visit to further investigate this.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Malcky
Grafter

I have not noticed any other effects yet.....but its still early in the night (8pm) and not had a chance to see if any streaming of Netflix or the likes have had any effect.....will be doing that soon though so will find out then.

Clearly something needs to be done, but will do a few things my end first before reporting faults.

Looking at the GEA tests of mine and anyone else that I have seen, I take it the profile name part with the time stamps below it do not get updated all the time?  I can see the first GEA test on this thread is timestamped the 25/12/18 @ 5pm.....I started this thread on the 7/1/19, and the test you've just done has a time stamp of the 27/12/18 @ 19:45.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Ah fair. No worries.

I believe it takes around 14 days for the timestamp to update. It's likely that your line has been modified to an open banding at the exchange, but the timestamp just hasn't updated yet. Worth noting that this only applies to the profile itself on the test not to anything else like the sync rate.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

After a DLM reset G.INP ie retransmission gets removed and you also get a drop in sync rate it can be upto 10Mb which has happende here, DLM will at some point in time put G.INP back on the line ( when it thinks the line is stable enough can take days sometimes weeks ) the 10MB lost should then be returned.  

Malcky
Grafter

@Terranova667

Is there an easy way to see if G.INP has been removed for sure? and also if and when it get put back on that I can check that too?

Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

some routers show it in the stats The Plusnet Hub sadly is very basic in this regard so doesn't show it , only other way for sure would be via a GEA test to show the profile but you know how out of date that can be. 

just keep an eye on things, wait 3 days or so and check you router stats see if it's still the same or has increased, but as i said previously it can take days sometimes weeks for the speed to start to increase based on how stable DLM thinks the line is. 

Malcky
Grafter

I switched off the modem last night for about 10 minutes to see if the line speed would correct itself, unfortunately that hasn't and I'm still at about 56Mbps speeds......will keep an eye on it over the next few days to see if it sorts itself out.

Thankfully the speed is still fast enough to cover all the streaming and stuff that goes on in the house, but if it doesn't correct itself after a week or two then that will be a different story as I'm paying for a 80/20 connection and the cabinet is a stones through from my house, so there is no reason for my line to be suffering this much.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Sorry to hear you still haven't seen an increase.

For the record your current DLM profile is "Downstream: 0.128M-80M with Interleaving (Low). Upstream: 0.128M-20M with no error protection."

Our tests aren't showing any cause for this so I'm afraid the only way for us to proceed would be to arrange an engineer visit

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team