cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request for IP Profile Reset Please

charlesroper
Dabbler

Request for IP Profile Reset Please

My IP profile is usually ~40Mbps but after I reset my router (to change to a static IP) about 5 days ago, it has got stuck with a profile of 33.08. I reset the router again just now and it's still at 33.08. Is there any chance you could bump it back up to the max please?

Many thanks!

Charles

11 REPLIES 11
geek26
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Request for IP Profile Reset Please

Hi,

sadly at the moment plusnet can't alter this setting on a Fibre connection as it's automatically controlled by openreach.

If your broadband remains stable for a while you will find your ip profile may go back up

James

Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

DLM is not controlled by Openreach its a Automated process within the fibre cab, an Openreach engineer can reset DLM but only after fixing a fault.

in this case you will have to wait and see if DLM automatically increases the IP profile but sadly this can take days sometimes weeks to happen.  

charlesroper
Dabbler

That's disappointing. Is there any way of knowing what the IP profile will be set to after reconnecting without resetting the router (and thus risking reducing it even more)? I thought I had waited long enough this time before I reset, but I think it went down even more.

geek26
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Like explained it's an automated process you just need to leave your router on and when DLM sees stability increase it will change the IP profile.

charlesroper
Dabbler

Thanks geek26 - it's an automated process, understood. So you're saying my IP profile will go back up and my connection will go back up without me needing to take any further action?

charlesroper
Dabbler

This post explains the process adequately. Takes the mystery out of it and shows why it can take a variable number of days to get back up to full speed, if you can get there at all. It's much less frustrating knowing this is what's happening: https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/FTTC-DLM-What-it-is-How-it-works/ba-p/1322799

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @charlesroper, welcome to the forums.

While others are correct that we unfortunately cannot remotely reset the profile on fibre connections, the sync speed for your connection does seem lower than I'd expect, given the estimates for your line at http://dslchecker.bt.com

Testing the connection has indicated that interference is being observed on the line daily with the longest occurrence of this being from 19:45 to 21:45 (No specific date), so this could be the cause of the drop in sync speed. The location (Estimate) of this is showing as Customer Premise.

Do you have anything in the property that you think could be causing this? In the past I've seen cordless phones, baby monitors, timers for lamps etc. cause this (And on one occasion the fruit machines from a pub next door)

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
charlesroper
Dabbler

Thanks for this information Harry - very good to know. I can't think of anything in particular that might be causing interference. We don't have cordless phones, timers or baby monitors in the house. We're in a flat, though, and I daresay neighbours would have these things (I know upstairs have a baby). Have you got any other time periods showing interference? Could help me narrow it down.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Unfortunately I don't Undecided The test only shows the longest occurrence of interference.

When this happened on my line, it went away after a few weeks of procrastinating on looking in to it further.

May be worth raising it at http://faults.plus.net

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
charlesroper
Dabbler

Thanks Harry. I think I'll procrastinate on it for a while. I did get solid a 40Mbps down for a good while at the start of my contract so hopefully whatever is causing the interference will go away. If it persists, I may raise a fault. Many thanks for the help!

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Just to add a little more info about when it happened to me personally, I dropped from about 50/55Mbps to 30Mbps (At the time the low end of my estimate was around 52Mbps)

When it got back up to speed it didn't recover fully, but my estimates had changed so the low end is now 35Mbps and I'm at about 40/45Mbps.

It works well enough for me to not really notice though, so it isn't the end of the world Smiley

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet