cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request a GEA test for my line please.

MaximusVR46
Dabbler

Request a GEA test for my line please.

I currently have a ticket open for my line but would like to see the results on the line test please. 

I am on the unlimited fibre extra, router is saying a connection speed of 65 down 15 up however when running bt wholesale speed tests at various times of the day I can never get more than 40 down or 10 up. 

This is the same with the plusnet router and my own router. 

Not sure if my line profile is correct. 

Thank you 

13 REPLIES 13
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Re: Request a GEA test for my line please.

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 54.9 Mbps
Upstream Speed 16.3 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 702.0
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Technology VDSL
Current 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Last 15Min Bin Retrains 0
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream 4dB, Retransmission High - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2021-09-16T12:30:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 42.3 Mbps 71.8 Mbps 47.3 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 8.6 Mbps 16.3 Mbps 10.0 Mbps
Up Time 244.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 894.9 Sec
Retrains 0.0 18.0 0.1
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2021-09-29T11:02:19Z 2021-09-29T11:17:19Z
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hiya @MaximusVR46, I am sorry for the issues being experienced with your service.

I have attached the GEA above for you and can see we are currently just waiting a response on your fault ticket here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=218276974

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
MaximusVR46
Dabbler

@LaurenB Many thanks for doing that. Do you know if my line is banded or capped? as i can never get more than 40 down on speed tests even though my router conects or syncs at approx 60mb - 65mb

many thanks again 

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for getting back to me. From what we can see, the line isn't banded. If the line was banded this would affect your sync speed.

With that being said, a check over your account did show the profile on the account was set lower than your sync speed, so this may have been having an impact. I have now amended this, so can you please reboot and retest?

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
MaximusVR46
Dabbler

@LaurenB Thanks again for your help so far, I have rebooted the router as it had lost connection at 8pm tonight for some reason. After running a BTw speed test it now shows around 50 down and 15 up, so at least its going in the right direction. 

I have attached the BTw advanced diagnostic report as it states the IP profile for the line is 53mbps, should this not be 80? I understand I probably wont get 80 but i would have thought the profile should be set at 80.

many thanks. 

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@MaximusVR46  The BT IP profile is always less than your sync speed, depending on line operating conditions from around 90% to 97% so even on a line syncing at 80Mbps it can never be set to 80.

The GEA test shows an unusually wide range of speeds from 42 to 71Mbps download, and 8 to 16Mbps upload. I assume there is an unresolved fault on the line.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thanks a lot for getting back to us @MaximusVR46

I've just had a look at the RRT and it does show that speeds have been fluctuating lately, this is more common with connections via L2TP - such as yours though, as it's affected by our internals profile speed as well as DLM. Our internal profile speed can sometimes take a while to adjust to the actual sync speed on your line so this is quite normal.

I'll attach a photo of our RRT speed graph below. Smiley

Tests on the line this morning appear to show that it's syncing in and around 57.33 Mbps which is within the speeds we told you to expect on your line, so I don't think there's any major issues here. The line has dropped out a fair few times though, 18 times on Tuesday! Were you testing your line with different routers on this day at all?

Capture4.PNG

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
MaximusVR46
Dabbler

@adam945 Thanks for the info. 

Glad the line seems ok, and yes I was testing both my own router and the plusnet router with different settings on Tuesday. But i understand by me connecting and disconnecting it may cause the DLM to think there is a fault.. am i correct in thinking this?

I have the plusnet router for test purposes but I normally use my ASUS Ac68U modem router. Have used this for several years with no issue on the unlimited fibre 40/10. 

Now that i have upgraded to 80/20 fibre extra (yes I know I wont ever achieve those speeds) but i did expect to get better than 40-43 down. I had to enable G.vectoring on my router to get what i get now which is approx 50down. 

Can you confirm that G.vectoring should be enabled on the router, if I disable it my sync speed drops dramatically.  

my router states when connected that DSL is connected with both Vectoring and G.INP 

Thanks again

MaximusVR46
Dabbler

I have been toying with the idea of getting the Draytek Vigor 130 modem and using the Asus AC68U purely as the router. 

@LaurenB @adam945 @RealAleMadrid 

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

We're actually unable to offer much support on vectoring as it's not a service we actually provision as part of the order. Certain (few) Openreach cabinets are "vectoring enabled" - which reduced the noise on the the line and makes them more immune to interference from adjacent lines.

Again though, we don't have any sort of tests at our disposal that indicate whether or not this is enabled at the moment.

When initiating your new contract, you were advised to expect speeds between 44 - 59Mb, at the minute, the line is syncing at 57.2Mbps so it seems okay to me. I probably should have asked this earlier but are you running your tests through a wired connection?

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Edinburgh_wg
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

>When initiating your new contract, you were advised to expect speeds between 44 - 59Mb, at the minute, the line is syncing at > 57.2Mbps so it seems okay to me. I probably should have asked this earlier but are you running your tests through a wired

> connection?

@adam945 I find it extraordinary that you still ask the question whether the tests are conducted using a wired connection. This is absolutely ridiculous and maybe you should advise how anyone with an iPad and similar such devices can test with a wired connection, if most if not all devices these days connect using WiFi only. Maybe using the wire was the case in the 90s, but, honestly, you should really stop asking customers if they're testing using the wired connection

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@Edinburgh_wg  ISP's can have no influence or responsibility over Wireless performance within a customers property, which is why the question is asked.

Sorry, but your statement is ridiculous. There have been people testing with devices with wireless capabilities of 56K wondering why they are not getting higher speeds!

The speeds quoted by all service providers is the line sync speed, not speed tests.

Edinburgh_wg
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Read with the understanding of the text.
How is one to check over the wired connection if most devices use WiFi only?