Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reqeust for Help from TP-Link Technical Support, DSLAM info, VR2100

i1231212
Hooked

Reqeust for Help from TP-Link Technical Support, DSLAM info, VR2100

Hi,

I am working with TP-LINK Support on a problem where a new VR2100 Router/Modem crashes every few hours when connected as a modem to PlusNet. The details can be found in their support forum here https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/243110   and they have opened a support ticket (TKID201223334), given me debug firmware for the router which has allowed me to share low level logs with them.

We have narrowed down the problem to the VDSL2 modem stack of the router and the way it interacts with PlusNet (or perhaps BT OpenReach). Configured as a router with PPPoE it seems 100% stable (84h with no crash as a router so far vs 4h as a DSL modem).  

The TP-LINK support engineers are asking if PlusNet are able to share technical details of the DSLAM parameters so that their engineers can reproduce the problem in their lab and find a fix for the problem. The VR2100 is a reasonably new VDSL2 modem and it seems like there are plenty of other reports of the same problem from customers in the UK. Probably all on BT OpenReach, perhaps many on PlusNet. The VDSL2 modem stack in this modem might be in other modems with the same architecture.

I have asked them to specify exactly what information they need. I am almost certain it's more than the max predicted download speed often referred to as the DSLAM profile in these forums.

If the technical details of a PlusNet VDSL2 DSLAM connection are published or can be extracted from a VDSL2 connection then pointers would be really helpful. Failing that if anyone from PlusNet technical support is able to email TP-LINK support then I can put you in contact.

5 REPLIES 5
i1231212
Hooked

Re: Reqeust for Help from TP-Link Technical Support, DSLAM info, VR2100

I think my FTTC Cabinet is a GFast cabinet, based on info at https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/fttc-cabinets.htm#fttc_street_cabinet and the image at https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/06/bt-openreach-reveals-g-fast-broadband-cabinet-extensio...

I haven't checked the number of the PCP matches BT Wholesale records yet. 

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi @i1231212 

I am not sure if it what TP link need but Openreach publication SIN498 contains the VDSL technical information for customer equipment suppliers.

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/helpandsupport/sins/sins/downloads/SIN498v7p7.pdf

GFast cabinets do not support VDSL.

VDSL/FTTC is implemented in separate cabinets from GFast.

However, to confuse matters the GFast enclosure, the type hung on the side of a PCP, is also now used for VDSL.

Regards

Richard

i1231212
Hooked

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the info, I'll share it with TP-Link support and report back if they have any further questions.

Best Regards

Ian

i1231212
Hooked

TP-LINK Support are asking what the DSLAM model number is ?

I assume that can only be found by PlusNet asking OpenReach and since the line is ok with the standard OpenReach modem that's not going to happen.

So, I have referred them to the email on page 47 in SIN498 Annex A and the subsequent pages on modem conformance testing. (which I assume they have already done to be selling in the UK).

..... but if the DSLAM model number could be found some how it might help TP-LINK find the root cause.

i1231212
Hooked

Oh and BTW, the PCP with the GFast box on the side is where my copper is terminated. I checked the number painted on the side. My line is VDSL2. Since there are no vents on the PCP box there must be a VDSL2 capable DSLAM in the GFast box. As you said, confusing.