Did you mean: 

Replacing Openreach faceplate

FIXED
harryw66
Grafter

Replacing Openreach faceplate

Hi all,

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

I currently have a BT Openreach Mk2 faceplate fitted.

I recently had some issues with connectivity and rang Plusnet support - they made me remove the front part of the faceplate and connect my phone and router (Netgear D7000) direct to the underlying socket using a wired filter and ran some tests - which came back clear.

I then fitted the faceplate back - but during the next 12hrs I kept getting disconnects. So, last night I removed the faceplate and use the wired filter again. I had disconnects overnight - but I think these may be down to BT maintenance.

During the day so far the connection has been up for several hours.

So, I am thinking I should replace the front faceplate and see if it helps - as I dont want the wired filter dangling around - in the exposed location.

Problem is I am not sure what I should order. When I search Ebay or Amazon for Mk2 - they only seem to show the back bit and not the front faceplate -i.e. the bit with the telephone and fibre sockets.

I can find plenty of MK4 or MK5 items for sale which include the front part.

So, the question is if I order a Mk4 or Mk5 - would be able to just use the front part and screw it onto the existing backplate? Or would they require removal of the backplate and some re-wiring work?

I have include some pics of the current front and backplate - in case it helps.

5 REPLIES 5
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Replacing Openreach faceplate

Try searching for 'openreach mk2' or 'openreach mk3' on eBay.  No trouble finding either for less than a tenner still in their sealed bags.

Main difference is mk3 has better REIN filter than mk2 faceplate.

New mk4 face plates won't fit your NTE5a master socket.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
harryw66
Grafter

Hi,

I did search Ebay but for MK2 or MK3 - the only thing I can see around the £10-15 range is the middle bit (see attached) - i.e. without the phone socket lower part.

The only cheap complete unit is a 2nd hand one.

A new complete kit seems to be around £30 mark.

So, if I just buy a MK3 the middle part such as New BT Open Reach MK3, VDSL ADSL BROADBAND SOCKET - I assume I can re-use the lower phone socket part - and it should not affect my fibre connection?

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Fix

Yes, that's how they come. The phone socket part is supplied with the NTE5a master socket. The MK2 / MK3 filtered faceplate, the middle bit, is sold separately.

Is there any extension wiring attached to any of the parts you removed to access the test socket? If so, it's not necessarily your MK2 that's the problem, it could be the extension wiring.

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

deleted

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
harryw66
Grafter

Thanks for all the replies.

I was just confused because it did not occur to me to re-use the lower telephone socket plate.

I will order the MK3 one...

Cheers everyone!