cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement fibre router / modem unit.

hevans
Grafter

Replacement fibre router / modem unit.

I am currently on plusnet's FTTC plan, basic 40/20mb package and the cabinet is less than 200 metres away ( actually right outside my boundary but the line from there follows a long route to the house itself.
I have always had intermittent drop out of signal and as I stream radio all day while working this is pretty obvious every time it happens. A lot of the time it is just the streaming service that hangs ( emails / other websites will work) but mostly the BT Openreach Modem wil lose it's DSL light and come back in anything from a few seconds to a few minutes. Also the Plusnet provided Thompson router will lose all lights except power then goes through it's initiation phase or whatever until it reconnects.
As I have had a lot of issues with broadband connectivity over the years from several providers and at several premises I owned and / or worked in I know what to test before contacting Plusnet so that I can eliminate a lot of problems myself if  possible.
I am currently considering buying a spare router / modem in a single unit so at least I have a test unit rather than try to obtain one when there is a big problem. Is there a particular type I should consider ?
Also is it a different process to set up from the standard broadband. I always used to just connect the router, go to the interface put in the *****@plusdsl and password then just let it connect itself. Is it different with the fibre routers and do I need to obtain these details from Plusnet ?
Sorry for a lot of questions but any input would be appreciated.
H.
I
3 REPLIES 3
hevans
Grafter

Re: Replacement fibre router / modem unit.

OK, I just saw NorthEasterner's posting and that answers some of the points.
Cheers.
H.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Useful list of combined VDSL modem/routers here: http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14436.0.html
Some need no specific configuration other than the Plusnet DSL username and password (manufacturers already put the correct defauts in), others need specific settings for UK FTTC - if you need to know settings for a specific one (once you choose) just ask as there's a good chance someone on here will know.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
hevans
Grafter

Thanks. Will have a look through those on the weekend.
H.