cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement VDSL router with plenty of ethernet ports

bwatkins
Dabbler

Replacement VDSL router with plenty of ethernet ports

I've been having difficulties with my fibre broadband for the past few months. I think I have traced it down to a faulty PlusNet router or Openreach box. Either it is overheating or there is a loose connection inside (possibly both).

I've got three IP CCTV cameras plus the TV, Freesat box, two network storage devices and a PC all plugged in to the router which of course means I am using two switches because the Plusnet router only has four Ethernet ports.

So ideally what I would like is a replacement VDSL router that has more than the standard 4 or 5 ports (ideally Cool and can handle a lot of traffic. Can anyone recommend one?

3 REPLIES 3
mike360
Grafter

Re: Replacement VDSL router with plenty of ethernet ports

I just bought the Archer VR900 and so far im really pleased with it easy to setup and it has Beamforming Technology and 1GHz Dual-core Processor.

ckcomputing
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I don't know of any VDSL routers that have more than 5 ports.

Your best bet would be to buy a bigger switch with enough ports for your requirements.

TP Link routers are reasonably priced and fit-for-purpose. (Although which VDSL router to purchase is more down to personal taste.)

Brian

Professionals are predictable - it's the amateurs that are dangerous!
bwatkins
Dabbler

Thanks for the advice so far. I didnt go in to detail in my first post but one of my switches provides PoE to two of the cameras so I will have to keep one switch but there's still 6 other devices to connect up - 7 if you include the router/switch patch cable). It would just be so nice if I could replace all those boxes and cables (and their power supplies!) with just one box.