cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement Router

FIXED
JacquesH

Replacement Router

I have a fibre connection with PlusNet and I'm looking to get a new router. Contrary to what I would have originally expected, my current PlusNet Hub One's outgoing connection (again, for a connection that plusnet is calling "fibre") is via RJ11/phone cable (IE connected to the HubOne's DSL outgoing port).

Am I correct in thinking that the category of routers I should be looking at is VDSL ones (such as the TP-Link Archer VR400)? Unsurprisingly most routers branded as "fibre routers" only have and RJ45 WAN outgoing port (at least until you get to the very high end) so it seems those are off the table?

Any clarity would be much appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Replacement Router

Fix

@JacquesH Welcome to the forum.

I think that there is generally confusion due to people calling combined modem/routers just router..

First of all the fibre connection to your home is FTTC, which means Fibre to the Cabinet. These cabinets are green boxes installed in the street near your home. These convert the digital fibre data to a broadband analogue signal. This is transmitted from the cabinet to your home over the original telephone cable. This should not be confused with the latest FTTP or Fibre to the Premises service. Currently FTTP is not very widely available and is not supported by Plusnet at the current time.

You need a modem to convert the analogue signal from the telephone cable back into a digital signal. This is done by the modem. The digital signal from the modem is then distributed either over Ethernet cables or wireless by the router.

The Plusnet Hubs are a combined modem and router. Unfortunately people refer to them just as routers and this is the source of much confusion.

So anything described as just a router should be just that. People buy these thinking it will do the job of a Plusnet hub, only to be disappointed.

Anything described as a VDSL router needs to be checked but is probably OK. Obviously a VDSL modem/router is properly described and will be fine.

So, after this diatribe, yes, the Archer VR400 is a modem/router and can be used to replace a Hub One.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

JacquesH

Re: Replacement Router

@Baldrick1 Thanks for the explanation, that clears it up a lot!

I will try to differentiate between routers and modem/router combos in future Smiley