cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replaced Plusnet Router with ASUS RT-N66U - Please help!

davidjameslevy

Replaced Plusnet Router with ASUS RT-N66U - Please help!

Hi everyone
Sorry to be one of those people who registers to ask for free help but I'm in a real bind!
Basically, I have recently moved to a flat in a big house with really thick walls and we were getting to the point where we couldn't even get internet in some rooms, so we were advised to change our router.
After a fair amount of research, we plumped for the ASUS RT-N66U on the basis that it came up in a few bits we'd read, and, crucially, it was apparently fairly easy to set up. We're both in our 30s and while we're not idiots, once people start talking ISPs and PPPoE, i'm lost.
So my plea for help is this - I've plugged in the router as directed, but when it goes to connect, I have 'limited' connection on my laptop, and I am directed to a BT Service Information Page basically telling me I can't connect to the internet.
I'm under the impression this is a pretty popular model so I'd be very keen to hear if anyone had any similar experiences and/or can offer any advice!
Many, many thanks
David
18 REPLIES 18
shure
Grafter

Re: Replaced Plusnet Router with ASUS RT-N66U - Please help!

to ask the obvious question first, are you experiencing the message when wireless or have you also tried to see if you get the same with an ethernet cable?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I assume that you connected it to the BT Modem as it won't work connected to the phone line
davidjameslevy

Quote from: Oldjim
I assume that you connected it to the BT Modem as it won't work connected to the phone line

I have, yeah. And then the supplied cable in the LAN1 port and into the Router.
davidjameslevy

Quote from: shure
to ask the obvious question first, are you experiencing the message when wireless or have you also tried to see if you get the same with an ethernet cable?

I haven't tried with the ethernet cable yet, no.
shure
Grafter

when setting up I'd advise to do it wired.  That way if you make any changes you won't get suddenly booted off.  Do you have a cable?
davidjameslevy

when setting up I'd advise to do it wired.  That way if you make any changes you won't get suddenly booted off.  Do you have a cable?

Yeah I have one - but forgive my idiocy, but it doesn't seem being wired is the issue? It's picking up the new network and the set up page is saying I'm connected.
Could it be that the BT modem isn't compatible with the new router?
Razorback
Grafter

Silly question maybe. Does it need the Plusnet password to login?
shure
Grafter

There shouldn't be any compatibility issues.  It should be just plug and play.
Having it wired simply rules out one area of investigation, that's all and excludes the possibility that there is some wireless issue.  Sometimes my HP laptop plays up and it turns out that I've inadvertently hit the wifi on/off button by mistake, for example (it's very poorly placed!).
Can you access your router admin page?  What does it say about your connection?
@ Razorback: yes it does to access the internet.  Username and password
davidjameslevy

Hi there
I can access the router admin page, yes. It says I am connected and the BT Service Information Page automatically pops up...
I have provided it my Plusnet username and password. I'd have thought it was 'plug and play' too...
dick:quote
Oldjim
Resting Legend

did you put the account name in as username@plusdsl.net
shure
Grafter

You connected fine with your old router, but not the Asus, am I right?  That rules out an exchange problem.
I have the Asus RT-N66u and it runs fine, although I'm on adsl (until tomorrow, fingers crossed!).  Under the WAN tab, is the connection PPoE and did you accept all the default settings?
I do remember having initial setup problems but that was more to do with a setting in my adsl modem.  Again another obvious question but have you tried resetting the router?
davidjameslevy

Quote from: Oldjim
did you put the account name in as username@plusdsl.net

No, I just put my username I use when I log into Plusnet - could that be it?Huh
davidjameslevy

You connected fine with your old router, but not the Asus, am I right?  That rules out an exchange problem.
I have the Asus RT-N66u and it runs fine, although I'm on adsl (until tomorrow, fingers crossed!).  Under the WAN tab, is the connection PPoE and did you accept all the default settings?
I do remember having initial setup problems but that was more to do with a setting in my adsl modem.  Again another obvious question but have you tried resetting the router?

Yes, all connected fine with the old Plusnet (Technicolour?) - back on it right now in fact! Yes, connnection was PPPoE and kept everything as the 'default'
Oldjim
Resting Legend

yes it would - the instructions here are quite explicit http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/broadband-connection-settings.shtml